RSS Feed Print
Canadian looking for an answer.
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:16 PM
Joined: 15/02/2011
Posts: 5

I am currently in Ecuador after finishing my STCW and am going back to Fort Lauderdale in Mid-April to look for a job. I understand I will not be allowed to work on a USA flagged ship as I do not have a visa. I am wondering though to work on another flagged ship is there a way to get around paying taxes to Canada? I have heard about starting off shore bank accounts, and other people have just told me to deposit my income into my Canadian bank account. Is this possible or should I just suck it up and declare?

Thank you!
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 11:43 PM
Joined: 19/05/2008
Posts: 52

Hi Mac Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your inquiry. Assuming you're Canadian yourself, you need to seek advice from a suitably-qualified Canadian tax adviser, or get advice directly from the Canadian tax authorities. You may be able to find the answer to your question on their website. Seafarers are not normally liable to pay income tax (or other personal taxes) in their country of domicile, but you should not assume that this will automatically be so in your case. You also need to be aware of any local income tax liabilities which may arise in the country in whose waters you are working, especially if you are accommodated ashore. Good luck in Fort Lauderdale. Benjamin Maltby. matrixLloydâ„¢
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2011 6:50 PM
Dude, do everything you can to get paid in cash or open an american bank account. But remember, sooner or later the damn Canadian gov't will try to get your money. A fellow Canadian who was in the yachting industry in Miami/Ft. lauderdale for more than 5 years.