RSS Feed Print
My next steps
boatymyboatface
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:51 AM

Hello all,

I've been reading the posts here for a couple of days and I'm finding them really useful

I'm looking at getting into the industry and I'm wondering which qualifications to pick up first. My boss had his Coastal Yachtmaster before he began dockwalking and made real success of it all. 

A bit about me, I'm 27, work as an outdoor instructor in North Wales taking students on expedition in the mountains and lead various activities such as hill walking, rock climbing, kayaking, canoeing, bushcraft, gorge walking, raft building, power boating, cutter sailing and team building exercises. 

My more relevant qualifications are - RYA Advanced Powerboat, RYA Powerboat Instructor, RYA Day Skipper and RYA Safety Boat. I'm possibly doing my Diesel Engine course soon too. I have a pot of money to spend on further qualifications, this will include my STCW and my ENG1.

I'm wondering whether you think it's worth getting a Yachtmaster, or AEC before I begin looking for work? I've noticed many adverts ask for a Yachmaster as a minimum for deckhand positions. 

Many Thanks,

Steve

boatymyboatface
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:27 AM

I forgot to mention that I also have my RYA VHF.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:17 PM

The qualified you are the more likely you’ll be successful in securing work.

Visa’s being organized in advanced is actually more important that qualifications, especially in the USA.