RSS Feed Print
Confidentiality On Board
Hillary
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:43 PM

A crewmember asked Dockwalk to post the following anonymously on their behalf:

"I have found myself on a situation where I feel like the Captain shared information that was not necessary and more of a “gossip” / “assumption” discussion and it really didn’t need to be discussed except between him and I.

Is this a thing? I am looking into taking this further as I feel there was some sort of confidentiality breach."

What do you think — is this common on board? What action, if any, should they take?
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:35 PM
Wise to keep anonymity on this one. Basically hard to tell as you haven’t divulged any information on the circumstance, Also you haven’t said who the captain has disclosed this information to I.e a fellow captain, a reference, another crew member, a random person, a crew agent etc etc so a straight correct  answer won’t be possible
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 6, 2018 10:13 PM
Yes you should take action.  That is the only way to get the point across to him or her.  They’ll continue to behave unprofessionally unless action is taken.  The bar has been lowered way to low for this industry.  Everybody makes mistakes however to often it’s the leader making the mistakes and not leading by example. You should take it up with the management company if there is one. If not then maybe consider telling him or her they need to make it right.  Depending on how serious it is you can ask the captain to call a crew meeting and in the meeting he or she can mention their mistake without disclosing anything personal just the fact that they let their professionalism slip and that it was a mistake and no one including the captain should ever allow themselves to act so unprofessionally no matter what they are doing and how far away from the boat they are. We are always representing the yacht that employees us as well as that yachts crew and owners. And all of us are always representing our kick ass, and amazing industry.  We all take for granite sometimes. As much as we can all bitch and point out the cons of being away from family and friends and the long hours. But where else can you make the salary you make yachting plus the tips from charter and 4 weeks or more paid vacation is unheard of in the states.
-chase-
Posted: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 3:37 AM

Anonymous wrote:
Wise to keep anonymity on this one. Basically hard to tell as you haven’t divulged any information on the circumstance, Also you haven’t said who the captain has disclosed this information to I.e a fellow captain, a reference, another crew member, a random person, a crew agent etc etc so a straight correct  answer won’t be possible
I'd have to agree with this poster. You haven't asked a embodied question. Divulged enough to say anything concrete in regards to action. 
What did he divulge? You had a contagious disease? You he suspected you were on drugs? You liked someone on board? That you're gay, considering being gay. You're really a man... (Tranny) You like to dress in men's clothes... 
See I suspect you're a woman. As this sounds emotionally driven. Or gay.
Or you think in terms of bad reality shows as that's how life is and choose to live it accordingly.
Full of drama.
You did ask, Is that how it is.. 
Unfortunately, vessels see tons of drama. And we see more and more of it over petty crap from crew.
Maybe this Captain is just joining in the bad reality show drama session... I don't know.
There used to be a time when you had to have a thick skin to be aboard. 
I don't remember the last time I've been onboard and Not seen drama of worst kind.
It's pathetic really. Everybody's a drama queen these days it seems.
But hey, who am I to judge. You came this far, Post your drama question on YouTube. Who knows it might go viral, and next you'll be signed to new and exciting bad reality show on MTV.
Quite honestly, if you can't handle answering this question yourself. You shouldn't be onboard a vessel.
And a hint as what to do... Take your own bitch about the Captain and what he did. And simply confront him. After all, like you said, it's between you and him.
Hopefully a light bulb or Bell just went off on your head.
Cheers..