RSS Feed Print
Experienced cheif engineer (never licensed) looking to get back into the industry.
PeteT
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2015 11:20 PM

Hello all...I was the chief engineer on two 100+' vessels for about 3.5yrs. (2+ at sea).  The first vessel I learned "on the job" and then transferred to the next vessel by word of mouth.  At that time I was going to bypass the basic AEC/MEOL training and go directly to Y4 via sea time/experience.  That was 7 years ago, and at the time I got a position on land as Director of engineering at a large hotel.  However, now I miss the ocean, and want to return to marine engineering as a career.  My question is... do I start with an AEC (from the beginning) or is there another possible route to get back in the yacht engineering field at a more advanced level?  I came up about 6 months short  to qualify for the Y4 and I'm not even sure if that time even matters anymore. I would appreciate any and all advice on how to get started.  Thanks
Yachtguru
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2015 11:58 AM

Have you contacted the MCA. People usually start with that and then move forward. 

What experience you gained amounts to zero until it's reconized.