RSS Feed Print
Originals of certificates.. have you got them?
e_deck
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 11:48 AM

I just visited a crew agency and they told me I should have all my original certificates with me when I start working on a yacht. And of course, this time I left them all at home and brought only copies, since no one has ever asked to see them before..

Should I get all my originals sent to me where I am now, or perhaps it would be sufficient if I get stamped copies of each certificate?

chrismlewis
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:14 PM

Yes, the agency is correct, you should have all your original certificates with you. They will be needed at Flag survey and Port State inspections.
Henning_1
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:57 PM

Which certificates, the ones a government issued to show compliance and certification under STCW, ie your mariner's credential or seaman's book, or the certificates your school issued you upon completion of an STCW course? I see a lot of people treating their course certificates as the final product of the STCW process, this is incorrect. They should be turned in to your port state for additional qualifications and certifications added to your mariner's credential. Your government certificate you should have the original, all the class certificates may or may not get you past port state control whether original or copy.