RSS Feed Print
Engineer competence.
Soaking wet
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 1:11 PM

Contractors compliment my engineering team, apparently we are helpful, know the boat and take pride in our engine room. 

Which is nice to hear but what are other engineers doing?
Doing what we are supposed too should not be above average performance. 

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:51 AM

Well great for you !!! 

But why does it matter what the others are doing?

If you know you did your best and made the best choices you could with the what was available and were above all working safely who gives a rats arse about the others?

Get back to work and stop crowing...about a pat on the back, there will always be substandard working practises and engineers

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:00 AM
Perhaps they are busy doing their job.. Maybe they don't need so many contractors because they are competent engineers
ratpack
Posted: Sunday, November 24, 2013 1:05 PM

God bless the anonymous internet warriors - they make this site so insignificant - if only Dockwalk had the balls to address them, this site could actually become a useful tool to the industry.

I note 'Soaking wet' that those ever so tough and knowing warriors neglected to establish your personal circumstances before labelling you as a work dodger.  Of course I hate engineers that can't lift a spanner - I call it a touch of the TED's (ticketed engineers disease) but maybe your boat is under warranty, maybe the item they were working on is under warranty, maybe you are having something expensive and new fitted that will have a warranty with it, maybe you have very little time to turn the vessel around or better still, maybe you didnt have the tools/space onboard to do the work.

A lazy engineer is not the only reason contractors exist - maybe one day, crew will understand this just like any engineer worth his salt does.

Dockwalk - I know the more clicks you get means more advertising revenue but please do something to stop the warriors

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 11:40 PM

Ratpack  you totally missed what I was saying....

Who gives a crap if they are doing their work well, that is EXACTLY why they are paid well (hopefully) to be employed as a professional marine engineer....to fix pretty much anything within the hull and deck.

I do exactly that... but you will not see me tooting my horn on this forum,  

A good engineer does their job above all safely, efficiently, and with good working practices and just for your edification I am British time-served mechanical engineer/fabricator with 30 plus years experience on yachts tugs etc from 50' to 210' .