RSS Feed Print
Career trouble
Janine
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:35 PM

Re-post by SoakingWet

Career advice for a friend. This is their story.      

I've got this friend who  can't seem to keep a job  for more than a few months.

Well qualified but socially awkward and overconfident they rub people wrong unintentionally.

This person is a longtime friend, they have good intentions but think their better than they really are.

We worked together for a season. On countless occasions I tried to explain "that saying less and doing more is a good policy"

The trend I see is my friend wants it all and wants it now. They also struggle with being told what to do and rarely listen.

Until they grow out of this self entitled haze I doubt they'll find and keep a good job.

In the meantime their building a bad reputation.

Long story short, there's more potential crew than real jobs and it kills me to see a nice person ruin their career because of an immature attitude.

We started our careers at the same time, I had less experience but have kept the same job for two years and am now bosun.

Just before I got promoted I was about to resign. Nobody knew I was looking for a job because I felt ready to go up in rank.

The owner apparently noticed my improvements and steady but quiet progress.

I just wish my friend was more humble and less critical of others.

Crew Unlimited_1
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:28 PM

Great advice - the right attitude is so important  for entering and ultimately succeeding in the Yachting Industry.  

Rose_3
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 11:39 PM

Over confidence can often be a trigger from poor self esteem.  Do they even realize the impact they are making on themselves and  others?

If they recognize that they have some areas to work on then I can recommend that they work with a coach to help them work through their personality challenges.  You cannot do it by yourself with self help books.  

A coach will work with them to begin to observe themselves, see their areas of new development and give them action steps to overcome and change their actions.  These are new actions not reactions which seem to be what the norm is currently.

I am curious as to why you are so concerned with them ruining their career.  A lot of nice people ruin their own careers.  Perhaps its not the right fit for them and its rubbing them the wrong way, thus they are reacting.  

I do hope that you receive as positive a friendship from them than what you are giving.  

And please contact me if you are at all interested in the coaching idea.  My website will be up and running in a few days.  In the meantime contact me at Transition by Design-rjolis@mac.com or on Facebook at 

https://www.facebook.com/tbdconsulting

Looking forward to connecting.

Best regards, Rose Jolis