RSS Feed Print
Engineers can I ask a question?
Soaking wet
Posted: Friday, July 5, 2013 9:24 PM

How long do you stay on a yacht?
seaeng
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2013 8:33 AM

Hi, That's quite an open question! I suppose it depends on the job and your own personal circumstances. I was advised that a minimum of a year looks good on your CV! If Captains and owners see that you have jumped around a fair bit from yacht to yacht then they may question your reliability and devotion to you position. I also feel that the more time you spend in a job the more experience you get in looking after a wide variety of equipment and machinery! I hope that helps.
abouis
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 11:11 PM

A good rule of thumb is: "Always step UP into a liferaft".

However, if the yacht is on fire, you should consider immediate departure.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:16 AM

If you have a bad situation, such as a dangerously incompetent Captain, an unbearable schedule for which the yacht is undermanned, or a budget so restrictive that you can't maintain the yacht to safe standards, get off.  You can explain that in an interview if you have to, but leave out names.

If you have a good situation, stick with it.  It takes time to really get to know a boat.  A year should be the minimum.  Don't be afraid to stick around longer. Plenty of crew stick with a good program for years, and some of the hardest working, most competent people I've met in the industry are 5, 10, even more years with the same boat, or same owners as they move through boats.

It's not just your resume you're building.  You're also living your life.