RSS Feed Print
A Fourth of July Inspired by the Mediterranean
The Grateful Palate Provisions
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:13 PM

By Chef Hector Lopez, Director of Provisioning, The Grateful Palate Provisions  

Greetings to all. My name is Hector Lopez and I will be providing monthly ideas and culinary insights for those of you who, like me, make your living delighting others with great food. In Dockwalk’s newest bi-monthly feature, Ask the Chef, I’ll offer some “food for thought,” and hopefully you’ll come away with a few new ideas to serve your guests, at sea or on land. 

For our inaugural post, I’d like to share a red, white and blue idea to help you entertain American guests who are vacationing in the Mediterranean during the Fourth of July holiday.  Further down, I’ve included a “menu-must” for this very American holiday, the burger, dressed up with a hint of local, Mediterranean flavor. I hope you’ll try it!   

As Director of Provisioning and Executive Chef for The Grateful Palate Provisions and Restaurant, my career is based on hard work and a passion for gourmet cuisine.  Each day, my goal is to provide guests and clients with a delicious and unforgettable dining experience and serve as the most reliable, trustworthy source for yacht and estate provisioning.  

I was introduced to the culinary world at the age of 15 when I worked at a local cafe in my hometown of Buenos Aires, Argentina.  It was there I discovered my passion for pastry and desserts. After moving to the United States with my family, I began pursuing my culinary dream at the Art Institute of Ft. Lauderdale. Upon graduation, I secured the coveted opportunity to work at The Grateful Palate as an apprentice to some of the leading chefs in South Florida including Executive Chef, David Learmonth, a former yacht chef. Not long after, I was promoted to Sous Chef and then to Executive Chef where I express myself by creating inventive dishes, pastries and desserts. 

If you haven’t tried the restaurant yet, I hope you’ll think of us when you’re in the mood for a great meal, some small plates or a drink at our Wine & Liquor Bar. The restaurant is one of Fort Lauderdale’s most highly regarded dining experiences.  On the provisioning side, I personally work with yacht and estate chefs, assisting with menu development, custom orders and fresh ideas.  Give me a call; I’d enjoy meeting you and helping you plan some new menu items.  I know it can be a challenge to keep it interesting while entertaining the same people for weeks at a time.    

Wishing you a safe and happy Fourth of July!  Enjoy the Red, White & Blue Burgers!  

Red, White and Blue Waygu Burger  

Stilton blue cheese, sweet onion and tomato marmalade, crisp pancetta, brioche bun  

Below, I’ve included a few fun accompaniments to help complete the meal:  

Kick things off with an American Apple Pie Martini 

Add a Sparkling Watermelon Salad   

Baby arugula, crumbled goat cheese, champagne vinaigrette   

Finish things off with an Independence Day Summer Berry Parfait   

For questions, please email me at hlopez@thegratefulpalate.com. I’d love to hear from you.  For more information, please visit our website, thegratefulpalate.com.