RSS Feed Print
Advice for qualifications
Paul-Jordan.
Posted: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 10:05 PM

Next season I aim to find work as a deckhand and in the time I have I plan on getting as many qualifications as I can. To date I have up to Dayskipper motor, STCW 95, VHF, RYA Diesel Engine and powerboat level 2. Because I have been using motor boats for tickets it isn't feasible for me to get the mileage to gain Yachtmaster before next season with my limited funds. This is why I am asking what would be more useful for future employment between getting Yachtmaster theory and Coastal skipper or getting  the MCA approved Engine Course and Yachtmaster theory. Of course if there are better suggestions than doing these qualifications I would very much like your guidance. Thanks very much .
Sean-H
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:19 PM

So I worked a ski season in New Hampshire 2001/02 and afterwards I thought "lets go down to Ft Lauderdale to look for work on boats" I mean why not? Nothing better to do, was just bumming then……not much has changed since. So with absolutely no experience with boats I ended up in Floyds….filthy bed bug ridden flea pit, at that time…..and one day just chilling in the TV room some guy sticks his head in to the room holding up a piece of paper with a phone number on it, says he's got something else, but would anyone like to call the number, for a deckhand job on a 72ft motor/sailboat…. best 4 months of my life…..Cape Cod, Newport, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Boston harbour on the 4th July, I did everything, deck, engine, rigging etc, I learn like that, by being thrown into something…..like I said, I had no experience, but you have to start somewhere, and this boat gave me that start, without qualifications, just by being in the right place at the right time, and that right place can be a bar, restaurant, gas station, supermarket etc. So when are qualifications necessary? This is a very good question that gets asked a lot. My suggestion is if you are inexperienced and only looking for a deckhand job for the moment, I dunno….maybe a whole bunch of qualifications are a waste of money, as you stand a fair chance of getting work anyway. Then once onboard, you will be able to find out what papers you really need to 'climb the ladder'. Some of these so called training schools are very good at convincing aspiring young potential crew that they need a whole bunch of courses to stand a 'better' chance of getting that dream job…..I've heard of chief engineers having only a drivers license. Yachting is a strange industry……time for coffee, I'm going blank right now….