RSS Feed Print
Midnight Trespassers
boatingetc
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 5:53 PM

I'm spending my summer season working as the sole crew member aboard a small yacht in an exclusive yacht club in New York. About an hour or two after falling asleep a few nights ago, I had two young trespassers (in their early 20's) board my vessel.  At first I honestly thought it was just a huge bird atop my cabin walking around but I quickly realized it was someone. After a few minutes I took a look out from my cabin door and saw a young woman and her male friend trying to enter through the rear cabin door.  Not knowing who they are or what they were after I wasn't sure what to do. With my phone in hand I rushed up to the cabin turning on every light I could and thankfully I scared them away. 

There is a single security guard here at the yacht club but its a big place to look after.  I am the only person who is living aboard a boat here and it's pretty dark here.  Other than keeping some courtesy lights on in the aft deck, I really have no way of keeping people off the boat. 

In the event this happens again, what can I do or what should I be prepared to face? There isn't much aboard I can use to fend of trespassers let alone keep myself safe other than keeping the boat light and the doors locked.  

I've read plenty of articles about people boarding vessels in the middle of the night but what can I do for my safety, or the safety of the owners/guests when they are aboard? 

Ianstuart
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2013 6:29 PM

Wasp sprays shoot 25 feet and are as nasty on the eyes. Legal everywhere
Bob P
Posted: Saturday, October 26, 2013 2:16 AM

Spraying someone with wasp spray or just about any other bug spray is illegal in every state in America and most of Europe. In California it's called "Assault with caustic chemicals" and legally there is no difference between hitting someone with a blast of Raid or tossing sulfuric acid in their face. Back in the 90's (after tear gas and before pepper spray) women were carrying bulky cans of oven cleaner until THEY started being arrested and facing expensive civil damage lawsuits. Bear repellant and pepper spray are food based and sting like a b***h. Use them instead.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:40 PM
Lock the doors...