RSS Feed Print
Food Cost
same_2
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 5:43 PM

After working as a yacht chef for 31 years, I have a boss brand new to boating. He wants me to tell him my provisioning cost per day (sans alcohol) per guest and crew for the entire summer in the NE. My bonus will be decided on how that number is met. We will have 6-11 guests aboard and 4-5 crew for 90 days.  He said a high estimate is OK. Any ideas?  Thanks!
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 1:30 AM
You have 31 years experience ... & he said a high estimate is OK. Use your best judgement and experience to arrive at a real number - then add 30%.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:19 PM
I currently use the Government Per Diem rate per day.  In the US it ranges from $50 - $71 per day per person.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:43 PM
Is there a legal requirement for crew provisions per person per day, and if so what are they? We are currently on $10 per person per day and feel that this is way below what we think it should be. Any thoughts?
le-capitaine
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:52 PM

Fifteen years ago we were on $15 per day per crew member and could usually work an evening out on that (four crew on board). So, I would guess that $20/25 would be a reasonable number today.

As for the boss, I don't see how you can be close unless you have a fairly detailed preference list and a schedule for the guests. I had a friend who was a cook on a tugboat and she had worked up a great max/min list for everything in the galley and the larder. You'd be surprised at the number of little things that even my chef at the time didn't think of as being necessary.

Good luck with it all - I hope your numbers are close enough to get you a decent bonus at season's end.

chrismlewis
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 9:23 PM

We have a crew of 9 and manage fine on $15 pppd in South FLA, but this will vary with location. If the question were asked of me i guess i would say $20 to cover myself and location changes etc.

For guests, you will realize that it is not much better than a guess, but $50 is what i use as a starting point.