RSS Feed Print
Sea time on yachts
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 3:21 PM
Joined: 19/04/2013
Posts: 1

When you work on a yacht, let's say as a deckhand, can you then get sea time /sea service that qualifies to work on commercial vessels (like ferries, tankers, supply vessels)?
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:54 PM
Joined: 14/08/2008
Posts: 1

The USCG accepts sea time as a deckhand on a yacht or other vessel as long as it meets tonnage requirements. USCG Licenses are accepted on US flagged commercial boats.
The best way to get up to date information for USCG licenses is to call the National Maritime Center.

ben _1
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:06 PM
Joined: 18/04/2011
Posts: 1

There no problem when it comes to the MCA.

 All you need is 36 month sea time on of vessel over 24 meters in length that is  not less than 80 gross ton. Then you do  6 months at college. It the same route that AB's in the commercial sector take to gain there officer of the watches 

  I know a few people who have already taken this route and they have had no problems.