RSS Feed Print
Rotating Engineers Unite
EngJoe
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 11:01 AM

It is very hard to find out through magazines and internet what would be a minimum salary for rotation engineers.

I propose the following; If you are a Chief Engineer with a Y3 and know what you are doing you should ask for at least 60 000 Euro/year if you have a full rotation (equal on/off time) and free flights.

For a Y2 chief I’m not sure and hope that you guys could help me out. Would either 80 000 or 90 000 Euro /year do the trick ?

Obviously if you have worked a long time or are REALLY good, you deserve more.

For you guys working full time I would suggest aiming for 90% of the captains salary, that is what the Danish and Norwegian merchant navies offer.

Joe

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:47 PM

Engineers looking for rotation that don't get paid when off are dragging standards down. I am

A proffessional engineer and earn my keep, it's pointless to take rotation when you have to take a second job to be financial.

chrismlewis
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 7:21 PM

Good luck with that Joe -  I am guessing that you are not too familiar with this industry... 

Bear in mind that this is not the Scandi Merchant Navies nor do we have the same job descriptions; if you feel they have a better deal please go there... 

Full time Ch Eng salaries are well published on line, as are Captain's salaries - would you care to explain how you feel better qualified than the crew agency professionals to make such a comment? 

All salaries seem to have come down in the last few years and if the first question a newbie is asking is about salaries then this is probably not the place for you... Just sayin' 

If you want to find out about appropriate salaries for yourself I suggest that you discuss it with a crew agency who will set you straight. Individual situations and feedback will depend on so many variables that may or may not apply to you and your boat so as to be practically meaningless.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 9:32 PM
As someone coming from the Merchant Navy into the yacht sector, money is not my goal at the moment as I'm having a hard time getting onto my first yacht. I have noticed that the money is a lot better in this industry though. But I disagree about the salary having to be 90% of the Captains, sounds way over the top. I noticed a lot of rotations will pay while at home also, and some will pay 50% of on board salary during this time.
FishnChips
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 7:11 AM

I think EngJoe has it just about right with the wages. + or - 5K for a Y3 and in the region of 7K is not an unreasonable expectation. Don't know about the 90% of a skippers wage, even though most of them deserve more than some skippers

Not sure why wages have taken a dip, most of these owners who are business savvy, actually make money during a recession !!! Time for a wage hike I say....

Boombox
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 1:36 PM

From my experience in 10 years and talking to the crew agencies I would summarize the industry standard for Y3 as roughly 6,500 Euro per month on NON-rotation.  That comes to 78,000 Euro per year.  Now half that (39,000) and add to the 78,000 and you get 117,000.  I would say that is a realistic amount for an owner to pay TWO Y3 chief engineers in total per year.  Thats an annual salary for each chief of 58,000 Euro.  Divided by 12 months gives you roughly 4,800 Euro per month on rotation.  This is for a Y3, mind you.  For Y2, just use the same formula with the industry standard Y2 salary (8,000 Euro per month, according to my information).  I just got my Y2 and I've been doing all this research for the past 2 weeks.
Chief Eng.
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 3:49 AM

Hello Eng Joe, great topic.

Anonymous, does it really matter if you get 6 000 euros X 12 or 12 000 Euros X 6 ??  Does not the annual sum matter the most ?

Chrismlewis, what's your point. Jelaous that engineers are uniting ? Please understand that your pay will not be less if someone else earns more and why are you stating full-time engineers ??

Boombox, I like the way you calculate. I agree with Eng Joe,  now unite and up that a little bit for starting salary.

The more engineers that starts rotation, the more engineers will be needed.

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional, wait until you hire an amateur.