RSS Feed Print
USCG OOW Training Reference Manual
Jzaugh_1
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 1:11 PM

I was wondering if a USCG licensed captain can sign you off for completing tasks in the MCA Training Reference Manual for OOW.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 2:42 PM

gidday mate, the cut and paste below is an email I got from the MCA about 2 years ago

"Providing the Captains can provide their certificate numbers we will
allow the Yachtmaster Captains and Australian Captains but NOT USCG to
sign off the TRB".

Regards
Miss J Haymer
Seafarer Training and Certification

apparently YM captains who haven't do the OOW certificate themselves can deem you competent in a level above what they actually have, and if you are the captain yourself wishing to do the OOW and eventually get a Master 3000gt the MCA is another email told me that we had to get the owner of the yacht to sign the Training record book to certify that we are competent... umm, an owner hires you as you are meant to be competent and can you imagine sitting down with your owner for hours on end getting him to witness you perform certain skills and then sign it off... other guys I know as captains have 'self signed' the book...

with all that in mind about YM captains, funny how a USCG captain with all their EXTENSIVE training etc can not sign you off in the book.... I originally asked as my first 2 yacht jobs I had a US captain and the other was only a YM also...

good luck...

Jzaugh_1
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 9:34 PM

So someone with a 200 ton yachtmaster can sign me off but a captain with a 1600 ton uscg liscense can't? thanks for the response though.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 1:01 PM
yeh mate that's it... crazy hey, but that's yachting and the MCA.... but feel free to email them yourself again as it may have changed, after all, MCA stands for May Change Again... haha