RSS Feed Print
Chemistry for fresh water system
Ivan
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 6:21 PM

Hello everyady! On my yacht there is fresh water system which cool a lot of equipment like chiler, stabilizers, refrigerators and etc. There is heat exchanger for cooling the fresh water system by sea water. I would like to know which chemistry to add into that fresh water system? Thanks in advance.
Lennard
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:44 PM

Hello Ivan,

For the freshwater cooling system I can recommend to use a corrosion-inhibiting antifreeze, usually the same one as for the main engines can be used like Total, Valvoline, Nalco, Chevron, Arteco, etc.

I hope this helps, let me if you need more details.

Regards,

Lennard Leeflang

captpage
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 12:08 AM

Hello Ivan,

Here is some thoughts; corrosion-inhibiting antifreeze, the word antifreeze inplies a high cost factor to have removed from your vessel (if) such-as a spill or something. Prices change from $3 a gallon to upward reaching $15 a gallon when the (A) word comes out and the collectors will say they smell antifreeze just to jack up the pump-out.  Never use the word or use antifreeze on a vessel.  Do your home work and try to get the right chems for all the systems installed as stated. I was on a Yacht that had all the cooling through one system and a leak happened...what a mess.  Hope your vessel has seperate cooling systems. If you don't understand - you find out soon enough when your budget disappears over wrong use of words and chems.

Craig_6
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 1:45 PM

Hi Ivan, 

I agree with the posting before this, using the term 'anti-freeze' covers a wide range of mostly toxic products that are expensive to purchase and equally expensive to dispose. 

The primary purpose for your coolant in the keel coolers is to lower the freezing point ( in cases where you might travel into colder water) and prevent corrosion through the system. The latter is the primary reason for the keel cooler in the first place. 

While there are many products on the market that do these same things, look into "Propylene Glycol" as this is environmentally safe product that works the same way as expensive 'antifreeze' products. 

Most good air-conditioning companies should be able to point you in the right direction as this is commonly used in the chilled water loop. Avoid mixing different types of antifreeze.