RSS Feed Print
New to the industry!Dockwalking NZ and AUST
lukeNZ
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 5:31 AM

Hey guys!Im a well experienced and well travelled chef(on land) and am new to the yacht industry. Im living in Auckland NZ and our season is about to kick off over here.Im signed up with all the recruitment agencies etc etc, and was talking to an agent about getting work from NZ or AUSTRALIA...She recommended to start Dockwalking... Soooo being a newbie to the industry with no experience on yachts, does anyone have any advice on dockwalking? I understand that the best place for me to be is Fort Lauderdale but without a B1 VISA is virtually impossible im told! Thanks for your time and wish you all well! Kindest regards Luke!
Nick-21
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 5:49 PM

You probably already have them but Reids Yacht services and integrated marine in Auckland are great help.
annette
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 10:46 PM

HI, I am just about to finish my Super Yacht Crew Course.. The advise we were given for when we start dock walking, is to ask for the 1st mate or captain when approaching the yacht.. Always present yourself in a clean shaven state, and tidy attire. There is a get together every thursday that you can go for drinks and get together with crews etc at the yacht club, they highly recommend this for getting yourself out there, face to name etc.. I hope this helps you and wish you all the best.. GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY BOATING :D
lukeNZ
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 5:59 AM

Thanks Annette!How did you go on your superyacht training course?Which one did you do?In Sydney?Do you feel it was worth the $1600? Appreciate your advice!!! Luke