RSS Feed Print
unlicenced engineers
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:51 AM
Joined: 15/06/2011
Posts: 17

Can anyone help for this quick one: can an unlicenced engineer work on a commercial registered yacht used soley for private use ? Thanx jase
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:03 AM
Joined: 24/11/2008
Posts: 20

My understanding is that if the boat is commercially registered then it must meet commercial requirements at all times regardless of whether the guests onboard are owners or charterers. Sometimes the boats can get dispensations such as to do a crossing with no guests etc with extra unlicensed engineers. Best thing is to speak to the flag state as Rusty Wrench recommends but in my experience they are only ever willing to let someone with one licence below the manning scales take the job, and sometimes then only with additional training such as engine manufacturer courses, and that's usually in unusual circumstances or with people who have been on the boat for a long time.
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:25 AM
Joined: 15/06/2011
Posts: 17

Thank you Dave, appreciated.
Nick Riley
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 2:13 AM
Joined: 05/01/2011
Posts: 1

In response to your question, I've just left a yacht that had an engineer for four years without one single marine qualification and has now become the manager!!! The boat is falling to bits, but in this instance the answer is yes.
Posted: Saturday, December 17, 2011 7:45 AM
I have an unlicensed Chief on a large 190 feet private yacht. Flag and Class have no issue provided the insurance company agree in writing.
Captain Andy
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 8:40 AM
Joined: 17/09/2008
Posts: 93

Hi Jas! As one of the very few MCA dual certified Captain/Engineers I can give you the low down. From a Captain's perspective on a COMMERCIALLY operated yacht he should comply with the Safety Manning Certificate which is compulsory over 500GT. Smaller yachts can have a SMC on request to flag. Once approved the Captain should man the vessel accordingly. However, he can by making an application to Flag, for dispensation to have an uncertified engineer onboard. But for this to happen, you should be able to produce some form of specialist training or a prolonged period of employment as an Engineer. It is not impossible to do, but just takes time like most things, approximately three months or so. If the Captain sails the yacht without the correct manning, then he, the owner and the yacht management company can all be fined upto and including a scale 1 fine. This is, probably, why certification is being demanded. Hope this helps .... if you have any other questions drop me a line at
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 8:19 PM
Joined: 02/06/2008
Posts: 342

Perhaps you should contact the flag State to get an answer that is worth passing on to the owner, the underwriters, and Port State Control.

When "something" happens and you have to justify what may be an exception to the manning certificate do you plan on submitting copies of internet forum posts or a private email as evidence of your good judgment and competency to hold a certificate?

Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 1:44 PM
Joined: 15/06/2011
Posts: 17

Thank you all for you input, was helpful, appreciated.