RSS Feed Print
Fresh and Fruity Summer Meals
The Grateful Palate Provisions
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 5:12 PM

Hello Dockwalk friends,

It’s mid-June and summer is in full swing. No matter where you plan to enjoy the summer months, one thing is for sure, it’s time for fun in the sun and great food. Summer offers an abundance of sweet, colorful fruits that no other season can match. From the first course to dessert, there are endless opportunities to get creative with summer’s bounty. Here are some tips to keep your summer meals light, fresh and healthy from beginning to end.

Top your salad with a summer favorite. Nothing says summer more than watermelon. While it’s typically considered a stand-alone fruit, watermelon is a great salad ingredient. Its crisp texture, sweet flavor and vibrant color are a delightful complement to the nutty tastes of greens such as arugula and baby watercress. Toss the greens with a light dressing, add some sharpness with crumbled feta cheese, and garnish your salad with bite-size pieces of watermelon. Your lunch or dinner is off to a great start!

Add seasonal flavors to the grill. Fish and chicken are summertime grilling favorites. For the perfect combination of sweet and pungent, grill juicy peaches and colorful red onions alongside the fish and serve them side-by-side.  If chicken breasts are on your menu, try a light, low-calorie, citrus marinade consisting of olive oil, fresh lemon and lime juices, salt and pepper. The preparation couldn’t be simpler and your guests will love the tangy citrus undertones. Pair the salmon or chicken with a vegetable and rice to create a light and satisfying summer meal.

End on a refreshing note. Of all of the sweet things you can find, summer fruits offer the healthiest dessert ideas. A scoop of sorbet garnished with fresh fruits can be the perfect sweet ending to a light summer meal. With an array of delicious flavors like cherry, mango, blueberry, peach, cantaloupe and strawberry, you can be sure to please everyone. Take the time to make your own sorbet in a few relatively easy steps or opt for a premium, store-bought brand made with organic fruits and natural sugars.

These suggestions are inspired by our menu at Shooters Waterfront in Fort Lauderdale, which, along with Events by Grateful Palate and Grateful Palate Provisions, is part of the trio of culinary establishments where I serve as executive chef.  I hope you’ll use them as thought-starters and get creative with your own summer menus.
 I wish you a great summer!

If you have questions, email me at provisions@thegratefulpalate.com. For more information, visit our website, thegratefulpalate.com. Come visit us by land or by boat if we can assist with your provisioning needs. We are conveniently situated on the east side of the Intracoastal Waterway just south of Oakland Park Boulevard at 3033 NE 32 Avenue in Fort Lauderdale. Our three complementary businesses share a 340-foot deep-water concrete dock offering shore power and water service. Call +1 954.566.2855 if you’d like more information.