RSS Feed Print
A Memorable Memorial Day On board
The Grateful Palate Provisions
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:37 PM

Dear Dockwalk friends, 

Thanks so much for the great response to my first post. I look forward to getting the discussion going and hope that some of you will leave comments, tips and suggestions for me.    

It’s May and Memorial Day signals the start of prime time for grilling. May also happens to be National Hamburger Month in the U.S.!   

Here’s a great American burger idea paired with savory crab-stuffed mushrooms. I’ve also included a delicious dessert idea at the end of the article. These easy to prepare dishes are derived from our menu at Shooters Waterfront in Fort Lauderdale, where I serve as Executive Chef. I am excited to share that one of our burgers recently was awarded “Best Knife & Fork Burger” at the 2015 Riverwalk Burger Battle Fort Lauderdale.   

I’m sure that like me, many of you enjoy spending time with friends and family at backyard Memorial Day barbecues. I thought that bringing some of that flavor to this month’s menu suggestion would spark some ideas, and perhaps you could plan for a fun Memorial Day celebration on board. For American charter guests or owners it could be a thoughtful gesture. Now on to the food.     

Roasted Portobello Stuffed Mushrooms 

Ingredients: 

Portobello Mushroom (whole, cooked)   3  

Pesto Sauce                                             3 oz 

Crab Stuffing Mix                                   3 oz 

Parmesan Cheese (grated)                     ½ oz    

Italian Parsley (finely chopped)             1 tsp 

Procedure: 

Stuff each mushroom cap with 1 oz. of crab stuffing mix. Place on cooking sheet and in the oven for 5 minutes at 350 degrees, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and arrange mushroom caps, placing one next to the other on a plate and drizzle the pesto sauce. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and parsley. 

Crab Stuffing Mix: 

Jumbo Lump Crab Meat                            2 cups 

Dijon Mustard                                           1 Tbsp 

Mayo                                                          ¼ cup 

Old Bay Seasoning                                    ½ tsp 

Tabasco Sauce                                           1 tsp 

Fresh Cilantro                                           ¼ cup 

Whole Egg                                                 1 each 

Panko Bread Crumbs                                1 cup 

Salt & Pepper                                            to taste 

Procedure: 

In a medium mixing bowl, add all ingredients except bread crumbs and crab meat, then mix in all ingredients until well incorporated. 

Pesto Sauce:  

Fresh Basil                                        1 lb 

Fresh Garlic, minced                        1 tsp 

Cashews                                            ¼ cup 

Parmesan cheese                              ¼ cup 

Blended oil                                        ½ cup            

Procedure: 

Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor; blend all ingredients until achieving a smooth consistency.