RSS Feed Print
Simple Cinco de Mayo Ideas for Your Onboard Fiesta
The Grateful Palate Provisions
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 8:40 PM

Dear Dockwalk friends, 

It is a pleasure to introduce myself to you and offer some popular, easy-to-prepare ideas for a fun-filled Cinco de Mayo celebration on board.  My name is Chef Rolando Centonzio, and I am the Executive Chef for Grateful Palate Provisions.  My goal is to be a valued resource to you by providing fresh, creative suggestions that help you do your job of entertaining your owners and guests with great food and beverages.  Every month, I will offer seasonal menu ideas and tips designed to help you plan, save you some time and delight your guests with memorable experiences.  

A little bit about me.  I was born and raised in Puerto Rico and my passion for the culinary arts began with my first job as a prep cook when I was just 14 years old. I then studied the craft at Colegio Universitario del Este Carolina in Puerto Rico and received my Associate Degree in Culinary Arts in 2001.  In 2004, I received a Bachelor of Arts in Culinary Management degree from the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale.  I consider myself a skilled culinary artist and am very proud of my vast experience in ethnic and international cuisine.  Over the past 17 years, I have created teams for corporate concepts, stadiums and country clubs, and have more than 10 years of restaurant management experience.  Like you, my goal is always to provide my guests with an outstanding and authentic dining experience. 

I look forward to getting the discussion going and hope that some of you will leave comments, tips and suggestions for me.  If you have questions, please email me at provisions@thegratefulpalate.com. I’d love to hear from you.  For more information, please visit our website, thegratefulpalate.com.  

Now, on to the food! 

These simple and delicious Cinco de Mayo favorites are derived from our menu at Shooters Waterfront in Fort Lauderdale, where I serve as Executive Chef. They are perfect for a light dinner and always a hit for lunch!  

Guava Chili Chicken Wings 

Ingredients: 

5 whole chicken wings 

2 oz Frank’s® RedHot ® Original 

6 carrot sticks 

2 oz guava chili glaze (recipe below) 

Salt and pepper 

Chicken wings directions: 

Marinate chicken wings in hot sauce, salt & pepper for 24 hours. Bake wings in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown in color. Remove wings from oven and set aside. Heat oil in a medium sauce pan at 350 degrees and carefully add the chicken wings for five minutes until crispy. Remove from heat and place in a medium bowl. Add guava chili glaze and toss to coat. Serve wings with carrot sticks and enjoy. 

Guava chili glaze: 

1 can guava paste 

1 bottle sweet Thai chili sauce 

1 tsp fresh garlic, minced 

3 cups water 

Guava chili glaze directions: 

Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Stir for five minutes until all ingredients are well incorporated. 

Mahi tacos with grilled pineapple relish, avocado crème, flour tortillas, cilantro rice 

Ingredients: 

4 oz mahi mahi 

3 oz slaw (cabbage, carrots, purple cabbage) 

¼ oz spicy mayo 

1 oz grilled pineapple relish (recipe below) 

¼ oz avocado crème  

4” flour torti