RSS Feed Print
Helideck assistant
HuwRogers
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 2:02 AM

Hey guys, 
I was wondering if anyone knows of some good schools to do some helideck training. I have had a look online, and can't really find anything catering for superyacht crew, rather just offshore oil platform crew. Is it essentially the same kind of training, and where are the best places to go and do it?? 
Thanks in advance!!

Krystyna Dockwalk
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2015 12:08 PM

Heli- decks do on board training, and have trained crew on Luna and many more.  They are in the Training company directory on the "careers" tab of this website under UK. Speak to Kev or David. 

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:23 PM

I am sure the RYA have a course for that... they do for everything else... haha

Firstly, unless you are on a oil rig you don't really need anything... HUET (training) is for those guys or crew in helo's a lot..

If you work on a boat doing heli ops you will only have to do it once to know what to do... and if you don't then you will have to learn when you do it eventually...

If your captain or C/O don't know, then grab out your copy of IMERSAR and have a read... and yes you will have a copy of it onboard... if you don't one would ask why NOT...?

I think off the top of my head it is section 3... but it will tell you about radio channels, fire equipment that should be set up, rescue boats in the water, and most importantly, watch and follow the pilots instructions if he is landing on your deck, if not, number one rule, don't touch any of the tag/rescue lines....

if being hauled up, DON'T reach out and touch the heli skids...

we wear high viz vests and have all the above in place.. no crew or pax outside, all exterior doors except the wheelhouse are locked, nothing on deck that can move or fly away in down draft...

if you are doing it onboard your SMS/ISM will have an approved written procedure and also a checklist to go through prior...

So, NO RYA COURSE required.... 

and depends on where you do your PSCRB, you will cover heli ops for emergency recovery/rescue in the course... we got winched up out of the pool/liferaft in mock scenario... kind of fun and yes, i did what i said NOT to do above... I reached out and touched the heli skids... big no-no....

Lastly, if you are interested in helo ops, go to a small local airport and do an intro heli flight, it is invaluable knowledge... I have done over 30 flights now... if i had the money I would do my licences... good luck...