RSS Feed Print
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 2:35 PM
Joined: 26/08/2014
Posts: 4

Hi i am looking to do entry level courses to get into the superyacht industry the continuing to master (unlimited) through all the stages. I first looked at the UKSA cadetship but a friend of mine has said it is awful and has been told to keep UKSA off of his CV. Fly fish have had very bad reviews as well. Warsash superyacht academy is part of southampton solent university (turns me away looks like they are out for money) but they claim to be the worlds best for superyacht training. Griffin marine are an independent course provider that do a £1700 course that takes you through the following:

RYA Essential Navigation and Seamanship Course

RYA Radar Course


RYA Diesel Engine Course

RYA PWC Certificate of Proficiency ideal if working on a Yacht with PWC /Jet skis on board.

RYA Powerboat Level 2 on a 7 metre MCA commercially coded rib with 200hp .

RYA Intermediate Powerboat Course on a 7 metre MCA commercial coded with 200 HP.

RYA Helmsman Course on a 12 metre twin out drive MCA commercial coded Motorboat.

One day on a 10 metre twin shaft MCA commercial coded Motorboat

and offer add ons (pwc instructor)

I have heard that companies like UKSA and Fly Fish charge extortionate ammounts for a bulked out course that teaches you how to sail but not how to use a power yacht. I am very confused can someone point me in the right direction please.

Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 5:24 PM
Joined: 26/08/2014
Posts: 4

Where did you do your training?
Posted: Monday, September 1, 2014 9:20 AM
Joined: 13/02/2010
Posts: 13

If you are looking to train in that area of the UK I would suggest that you look at Red Ensign in Cowes. I have had several crew do various courses there and my wife did her STCW95 basic train there - all came back talking highly of them.


Posted: Monday, September 1, 2014 1:11 PM
Joined: 07/09/2011
Posts: 14

Warsash Superyacht Academy would be were I would take all of my courses if I had to do it over again. It is part of the maritime college therefore has great facilities. At least OOW and up, STCW etc. I would go wherever is the least hassle and expense
Posted: Monday, September 1, 2014 4:22 PM
Joined: 26/08/2014
Posts: 4

I am looking to train anywhere in the UK I am from liverpool but surprisingly there are very few training centres up here and thank you for your advice
Posted: Saturday, September 6, 2014 5:34 AM
Joined: 01/04/2012
Posts: 8

Warsash Maritime college, 

its the best of the best, if I had to choose between 2 candidates equally qualified for the same job and one had (one of them whom studied at one of the many RYA training schools in south of England) or Warsash I would be more pushed to hire the person who studied at Warsash, they are much more thorough, I have studied there too (as well as other places)


David Green
Posted: Saturday, September 6, 2014 5:54 PM
Joined: 16/04/2013
Posts: 9

Hi jack 

I don't know if you have heard of seas scope they teach the STCW 95 modules and are just across the road from Leo casino on the dock road ( if that’s what it’s called) I’ve done my remaining modules with them in June and it was a very nice centre with friendly staff. 

Or have you also looked at hoylake sailing school? They are also partners with Dovaston crew agency so that might be a useful centre to use but they are expensive. 

I also done my AEC in emsworth down south which was 6 1/2 hour train ride (should have drove) they also teach yachting courses such as day skipper yacht master ect  

Doing it through different centres will cost a lot of money but if you don’t have several thousands of pounds at hand to throw at training it might be the only way to do it. That’s what I had to do unfortunately. 

Have you thought about doing a cadetship?  As you can go from merchant to yachting but not yachting to merchant  

I was also surprised at the lack of centres on the west coast of the UK there are none in Wales.  

Good luck with everything and feel free to message me. 

I’m not in the industry yet but planning on going to Antibes within the next few weeks

John Doe_1
Posted: Saturday, September 6, 2014 7:37 PM
Joined: 13/10/2008
Posts: 78

You don't need any of those courses to get a job on a yacht. All you need is the yacht master commercially endorsed.  Those RYA courses are for recreational sailors. The only other course that would help you is the PWC instructors course.  Then when you want to continue in your training to unlimited commercial master you go to Warsash for 8 months once you have three years seatime on yachts and take the commercial unlimited OOW course. That will set you up for the unlimited tickets when you get more seatime as OOW. Good luck