RSS Feed Print
STCW Security Awareness - advice needed, deckhand with old STCW BST
AlexBerry
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 4:34 PM

Hello Dockwalkers!

I originally took my STCW95 BST in 2011 but only used it onboard a 34m tourist boat for 4 months whilst in the whitsundays travelling Australia a few years ago. I've been working in the watersports beachclub management environment ever since but I'm now embarking on a trip to Palma dockwalking for a deckhand position. I didn't take the new Security Awareness course at the time and I have only 4 months experience so can't apply to get the endorsement for free (think it's too late now anyway) as the new rules have now come in.
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on whether it's available to do online, or if there is anywhere in Palma to do just that bit which is now included on most STCW courses. In your opinion will it stop me getting that job that I'm after so desperately until I get it?

Thanks for any advice,

Regards,

Alex

Ps, if anyone knows of anything going for a charismatic deckie with udles of fun chat, top class professionalism, only 4 months experience but with great ambition in the Palma area, let me know!  (mralexberry at gmail.com)

SeaCapt.
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:46 PM

Your STCW BST certificate should be good for five years.  You need the four hour MSA, maritime security awareness class.  At this time that has no expiry.  Ensure that the facility that is providing the course is offering an approved course in accordance with STCW A-VI/6,4-5  The certificate needs to say that.