RSS Feed Print
YM Coastal based around UK
seanis
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 6:41 PM

Hi Guys, I've completed my STCW95, Powerboat Level 2, RYA Diesel & VHF Radio etc, but I'm thinking about moving out to Palma to look for deckhand work 'next' season (Feb/Mar 2015). I have lots of sea miles racing sailing yachts locally, however before I head out to Palma I want to be qualified to Yacht Master Coastal level, as I have heard that this is becoming the standard entry level for Deckhands (Day Skipper doesn't suffice anymore I believe). What I need your help with is which fast track programs are the cheapest based around the UK? The ones I've seen so far are very expensive! Like £2,000 for Dayskipper and £3,000 for YM Coastal (including all of the required sea miles and passages etc). £5,000 seems like a lot - does anyone know any cheaper (but still respectable) companies? Also, would my yacht racing miles count towards the sea miles requirement, as if they do I may not need to pay for the full fast track course? Thanks, Sean
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 4:07 AM

The best way for you is to get your yachtmasters, yes it does cost 5k but u will earn that back in 2 to 3 months

I do advice to go and get your qualifying miles as you will learn a lot from those miles, if you have some serious off shore racing miles i.e. Fastnet u can use them, like you i had some serious racing miles but its a lot different 

experience qualifying for your YM then being part of a race crew you will be making a lot of different decisions

as part of your learning experience, 

My Nephew has just completed his YM at Hamble school of yachting and he had a great experience 

and the solent is a great place to do your YM