RSS Feed Print
Drill inspiration
Reg101
Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 2:47 AM

Be great to have some outside input concerning on board drills. Any inspiration on freshening things up in order to keep the crew interested would be greatly appreciated.

It often can be a fairly boring task, but maybe you can remember one which got the point across, while equally having a good time whilst doing so?

Thanks in advance.
Janine
Posted: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 7:24 PM

Check out the "Drilled to Perfection" article in the December 2011 issue of Dockwalk here.
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:32 PM
Having had a spinal injury back in June, I would say that practising log rolls and immobilisation is a good one to rehearse. With crew of 5 or 6 if someone is injured it is going to require the entire crew to move/immobilise them. In my case I was handled by the local ambulance, which was sent from a private hospital, badly. Having coordinated medical training on previous boats I would say having a vacuum mattress, a subscription to a medical provider such as Medaire or First Call and regularly practising using bits of equipment is essential. It's the one drill which doesn't seem to always get carried out, perhaps it's too easy just to finish a medical drill with the kit bags being brought to the "patient" without opening them.