RSS Feed Print
OOW study schedule
Ben
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 5:35 PM

hi, got couple of questions about oow studies. What is the best : to do all modules straight or to attend modules when possible? if its the when possible , can you advise on which module to start with ... , still got 2 years of sea time to accomplish but I would like to be prepared financially and theoretically . thanks for advices . B
Lars_4
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:52 PM

Hi Ben

I would be careful here. Be aware that both modules (OOW GSK and OOW NARAS) have an expiry date. They are valid for three years from the end date of the course which means if you haven’t sat (and passed!) your MCA Oral Exam within three years you risk having to do the entire course again. We all know how long it can take to gain additional 2 yacht service, so I would not yet start with these modules.

Personally I would start with the STCW short courses that you will have to complete in addition to the two modules. These are: Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats (PSCRB), Human Element and Leadership at Operational Level (HELM(O)), Efficient Deckhand (from 1 January 2014 onwards) and GMDSS GOC.

PSCRB will have to be updated every five years (from 1 January 2017), so possibly wait a little bit. GMDSS GOC needs revalidating every five years (which will not be problem for you). HELM(O) has no expiry date, so I would probably start with that one.

Don’t fall into the trap of doing the Advanced Sea Survival for Yachtsmen instead of the PSCRB. The Advanced Se Survival is not an STCW recognised course, it’s a UK course only which means other flagstates might not recognise it. I have seen many officers coming to don their PSCRB quite upset as they had done the Advanced Sea Survival first and did not realise.

I want to be honest, so I don’t want to hide the fact that I work for Warsash Superyacht Academy . However the resembles my personal opinion.

Just one more additional thought: How big is your current yacht? If it is over 24m (load line!) and you are likely to complete to more years sea time (as defined in MSN1802) on over 24 metres you could also go directly to OOW Unlimited. In additional to the total 36 month sea time you must show that during that time you have been involved for at least 6 months in watch keeping activities(with a letter from the Captain or the company). Those who hold a OOW(Yachts) and are wishing  to upgrade their ticket to an unlimited one (we get quite few officers who are doing this) do not need to prove any watch keeping.

An OOW Unlimited would allow you to serve up to a chief officer/chief mate on yachts under 3,000GT, but also as an officer on yachts over 3,000GT or on Passenger Yachts (coded to PYC) or obviously any other vessel. The costs of doing this is pretty much the same as all the courses that you need to complete to become chief mate (yachts).

Hope the above is the advice that you were looking for, Ben, feel free to get back to me if you have further questions.

Regrads, Lars

Ben
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 5:46 AM

Hi Lars

thanks for the reply.

did not know about pscrb, good to know as i was planning to do the advance sea survival. 

heard about Warshaw and did see your pic in the brochure. 

i am on a 55 m motor yacht. 

the unlimited ticket is a 6 month study right ? 

thank you again . Ben