RSS Feed Print
FCC radio operator licenses
Wolfie
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2013 1:29 AM

So I am struggling to find the answer to this:

If I take the General Radiotelephone Operator License (PG) or Marine Radio Operator Permit (MP) do they include the GMDSS certification or do I need to sit the separate exam module?

I know I could call them Monday but hoping someone here has been there and done it.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2013 1:55 AM

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=license

Wolfie
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2013 5:13 AM

Anonymous wrote:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=license 

Yes I am aware of the site thank you but it doesn't answer my question that I can see.

W.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, July 7, 2013 7:37 AM

You can't even just sit the exam. There are actually 4 separate exams and you must pass all of them. You need to take the course. Designed for different purposes. If you need GMDSS for another licensing requirement then you must take the GMDSS course.  

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2013 3:49 AM
Wolfie...if you can't figure out the FCC website, then you don't stand a chance at the exam.  The licenses are listed in hierarchy.  MP, PG, RG, DO.  GMDSS includes all of the previous licenses.  Read the description of the license.
Wolfie
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2013 4:48 AM

The FCC site shows which module exams need to be sat for each certificate so not sure how you got to 4 unless you are suggesting that I have to take one module twice?

I resent the fact that you suggest that because I haven't assumed that the higher certificate includes the lower modules suggests I will fail the exams. The GMDSS module is a different exam to the 'higher' level certificates so it is NOT clear at all - see the reply to the other anonymous poster.

Given that I have the UK GOC, an amateur radio licence I don;t think the exam will be a problem - but thanks for your sarcasm.

W.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 10:56 PM
Hi Wolfie,
Are you trying to take the FCC GMDSS to get it on your USCG license?  If so post ur email and I'll email you some specifics.  I too am a ham and can tell you all about it.  

Wolfie
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 11:13 PM

Thank for the offer - I'd rather not post my email on an open forum though.The US amateur license is next on the list!

I spoke with the FCC today and its confirmed that even if you take the higher class license modules you still have to test for the GMDSS element. However there is no need to repeat elements so for the GROL with GMDSS it is 3 elements.

W.