RSS Feed Print
C/Engineers please aid a jnr engineer
rusty tools
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2013 6:36 PM
Joined: 02/12/2010
Posts: 24

Good day,

Plain and simply I have been "engineer" on my vessel for 24 months with my AEC with the capital goal of doing my MEOL exam before the season. We all know how important leaving an AEC behind is. I have completed the ancillary prerequisite courses and have qualified service (24months) as with MEOL no actual sea service is required. 

Problem is my vessel falls under the >24m, <200gt, <1500kW regarding MCA manning scales, however my vessel has 2 MTU's totalling 2942kW. Which requires the chief engineer if holding only an AEC to have attended an approved manufactures course relevant to engine power, shall the kW rating be greater than <1500kW to satisfy manning scales as the engineer. I do not have that manufacturers course under my belt, so correct me if I'm wrong, I am not eligible to sit the MEOL.

If I were to do the manufacturers course now, having not had it behind me the last 24 months would I be able to do the MEOL? I am brutally confused as literally the last 2 yrs of my life I have done everything to take the next step and (my fault) only read the annotations in fine print now, so if I am completely exempt from the exam considering my status how on earth does 1 acquire their MEOL through the MCA examinable route as you cant work as any kind of assistant engineer with an AEC according to MGN156

I do understand you can be a dual role deck/ engineer (36 months) but as seen in the annexe A the small numbers 1 & 3 above is the ONLY block an AEC engineer can work in referring to rank and vessel size/power being >24, <200gt, <1500kW. So you telling me every Engineer in Yachting (examinable route) spent 3 years as a deck/eng prior to starting the 3 years had both an AEC & manufacturers course all of which was on a >24,<200gt, <1500kw vessel.
Please help me clarify this

Posted: Friday, March 8, 2013 8:45 PM
That sounds far too complicated. Unless you have a particularly good reason to torment yourself with  rules and regulations that often seem to bite their own tail, why don't you apply for a 'Letter of Initial Assessment' from the MCA or even better an NOE, that you will need anyway... and let the MCA man decide what's what. They can be difficult, but are often surprisingly reasonable and certainly do differentiate between safe manning requirements and yacht time requirements for certification purposes. Keep it simple.
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2013 9:51 PM
Joined: 17/07/2008
Posts: 26


From what I gather you were the only engineer on the vessel?  You say it was under the 1500 Kw but the engines total 2942?  That means you were illegal as the engineer without the engine course.  I have gone the USCG tickets but I don't believe that an engine course is a prerequisite to the MEOL.  I just had a 2nd get his but it was on larger GT and Kw.   

Ezequiel Corti
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2013 10:10 PM
Joined: 25/01/2013
Posts: 1

Some answers and comments:

Engine manufacturer courses are not considered by MCA. They are good for employers, not for the authority.

NON CHARTER boats doesn't need a certified engineer. Small yachts, even if they are comercial, ussually doesn't need an engineer, when they have one on board is just because the owner thinks it's a good idea.

Fill in  the MCA 'Letter of Initial Assessment'  and let see what happen. Also take with you a nice letter from the captain explaining the type of boat you have been working on.

Good luck !!!


Posted: Friday, March 8, 2013 11:46 PM
Joined: 24/11/2008
Posts: 20

Don't worry about the engine manufacturers course or getting an LIA, if you have the 2 years as a yacht engineer whilst holding an AEC then you can apply for an NOE for the MEOL. The MCA in this case isn't there to check the legality of the manning certificate, that's down to the flag to approve whilst you're working aboard, and as previously mentioned if the boat is private they're not required to stick to it anyway. That said, for your next position it's well worth trying to find a job where you do have the correct licence, but that's very difficult when you hold an AEC as I know first hand. There's no need to apply for an LIA, unless you have a previous engineering background there's nothing for them to assess and you're just adding time and expense to the process, if they have any issue with your application they'll tell you. Good luck!
rusty tools
Posted: Saturday, March 9, 2013 11:20 AM
Joined: 02/12/2010
Posts: 24

Thank you all for the input,

Slightly contradicting but after further examination (mgn's) the examinable Yacht route flow chart depicts kW rating increases by manufacturer courses for Y4 Y3 Y2, and nothing for AEC or MEOL where as the Manning scale table (same mgn) indicates AEC & MEOL to have manufacturer courses if required.

MGN 156 "kW ratings may be increased if approved manufacturers course is attended."

status: sole eng on a 30m and runs commercial & private under red ensign flag.

It may be safe to say that adhering to the examinable flow chart rather than manning scales would be more accurate. I will go ahead as planned submitting for the NOE for an MEOL and I'm sure it will all plan out. I probably, as the first commenter suggested, am tormenting myself.


I will report the results

Thank You