RSS Feed Print
I could really use some guidance
timkstanley
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:30 PM

Hello, first of all, I have looked through the threads and haven't found what I'm looking for yet. I am a 30 year old that has been sailing professionally for 5 plus years, I have sailed over 25,000 miles in the capacity of deckhand through mate on tall ships around the world. My question is, I hold my O/S licence with the USCG and am wanting to upgrade to a 100 ton masters license. As you know, any time you try to find out info on the web you get a whole bunch of paid advertisements.

I'm not sure what I need to be exact, I understand I need the drug/physical, TWIC, and sea time, I have over 720 days logged, but some of them are on foreign ships and I'm not sure if the coast guard will accept them. If I could get some guidance I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance

Tim

rodsteel
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 4:34 PM

Tim,

You mention a USCG O/S License and TWIC but not whether you have an MMC. If you don't have it yet, I would suggest you start here:

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/faq/merchant_mariners_credentials.asp 

When I got mine, it required STCW '95 Basic Safety, a TWIC and at least Lifeboatman's training.

If you already have your MMC, just go the closest Coast Guard office and ask them what else you would need (I found them to be very helpful in my case).

Enjoy,

Rod

timkstanley
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 7:23 PM

Yes I do have my MMC,  and thank you for the response.

Tim

captcary
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:18 PM

Hey Tim,

The USCG will take time on foreign flag boats.  Just make sure you have a letter signed off from the captain or owner just as you would a US vessel. Also make sure their contact information is on it.  I have heard of them declining sea time because they could not verify the time.