Dockwalk - The Essential Site For Captains And Crew - DockTalk Untitled Page

Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
The truth about "Below Deck"
sean_1
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:51 PM

My thoughts are that since someone decided to sell the rights of yachting off to those seeking fame a la Kardashian style, it's only fair people know what there really seeing. 

The yacht depicted in Below Deck that is portrayed as M.Y. "Honor", is really the M.Y. Coeur Di Leone, a 1999 160'/50m Benetti that was completely refit in 2005, due to inherent design flaws.

The T.V. Show was originally filmed with a more experienced crew who wouldn't give them any real footage or "dirt", thusly they re-shot multiple times and eventually recast with largely inexperience green-horns/aspiring actors looking for reality tv fame as opposed to experience & a career in yachting. 

Obviously, the Charters are staged sometimes including actual yacht crew, giving technical assist & knowing how to "push the buttons" of the cast and keep the "action high".

Please add more details if you got them...

LimeyEng
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 10:14 PM

Watched the trailer and that was enough to know it's going to be absolute bollocks as you knew it would be !

No real crew there, all wanna be actors' and drama 'queens' !! Lol.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 1:20 PM

Lol it's just a show people. I do not think anyone really cares about this show. Everyone knows reality tv shows and drama all go hand in hand. If the producers were to make a boring show, no one would have bought the rights or watch it. Off course they are going to try make it interesting. This is something that most people that will watch will be aware of. As for the impact it will have on the industry..not much! It's a "glitz and glam" industry and i am surprised something like this had not been done before. Regardless of what is portayed on this show, people who have the money and want to charter will still charter, as for crew, work hard, do a good job and exceed expectations and you'll always have a job. This show does not say anything about the real crew or yacht and naming the supposed yacht will make a small difference if any at all.

Haley_3
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:34 PM

In regards to the original post, I don't think it's accurate to say that the entire crew is a bunch of newbies. The chef, who I know personally, has been in the industry for over 7 years (I think 9) and the Chief Stew, who I have met on a couple occasions, also has at least 6 or 7 years in the industry (although she works as a chef most the time). The captain also doesn't look like he just rocked up on the dock as he has a full head of gray hair. 

It's great to put some perspective on this and show what the true "reality" is, but make sure you get your facts straight or else we're no better than the show thriving off of petty gossip and unconfirmed rumors just for a little drama.

boatingetc
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 12:02 PM

Regardless of how much is real and how much is fake (it is TV after all), it is nice to see that what we all do for a living is actually getting a little bit recognized. Most people around the world don't even know these jobs exist. Of course it may only create a bit more competition but thats a good thing as we can all do better in everything that we do. 

I look forward to watching the show as long as it's not as fake as stuff you'd find on the TruTV network

sean_1
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:38 PM

Haley 3, I'm happy to be proven wrong, and I relized I sound biased here, but the information about the crew came from 2 different Lauderdale baised crew agencies who were contacted to assist with crewing the vessel.  Some of the crew are "seasoned".  The captain is obviously qualified.

While Im not against the exposure of yachting, i dont think this form of it will cast a decent light on it

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:50 AM

Saw the 30 mnute preview...it gets better...

The captain is a knob who is no stranger to a bottle of JD...he's has sexual harrasment charges pressing against him

The guests in this episode are brokers & most likely their family 

It's total b.s.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 4:00 PM
Word is that the captain on that show just put a 112' Westport aground near Woods Hole. Anybody hear anything about it?

Average 4.5 out of 5
]