Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Gourmet Guides
seaword7
Posted: Thursday, May 8, 2008 3:13 PM

Dockwalk is very interested in keeping our Gourmet Guide series going. Anyone who feels they have a really good grasp on the best places to provision in any cruising area or port of call and would like to share their sources with the collective community of yachting chefs, please send me an email. (This is also a great opportunity to boost your resume with a by-line in Dockwalk.)

Don't worry if you can't write...you provide the information and I'll do the homework.

Let's keep the information flowing and gourmet guides going. Send your ideas in a brief email to seaword7@yahoo.com.

cher bear
Posted: Thursday, May 8, 2008 8:54 PM

what kind of information will I find in the Gourmet Guides?
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2008 2:26 AM
I think this is a great idea of sharing places to provison for the new chefs coming into the industry and chefs that have been in the industry for years too.... I will send info to you..... are you going to post these places for all to see???
seaword7
Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2008 7:51 PM

Gourmet Guides will run in Dockwalk, which in turn will be available online. Please keep in mind that we have already done St. Thomas-BVI, Fort Lauderdale-FL, Antibes-FR and Juneau-AK, but there are still many more ports to cover!
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, June 13, 2008 2:39 AM

I have a chef looking for the best places to provision in New England. Anyone have any suggestions?

selinastansfield
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 7:11 AM

Hi

I was wondering if you have the Provisioning Tips online now? They would be very useful to me! I have provisioned in some amazing parts of the world and found some great people - but never really in the med!  I would love to share my contacts if you need more info.
thanks
selina

Kate
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 5:19 PM

Hi,

The articles aren't available right now online -- we're working on that. But if you email me (kate@dockwalk.com), I can send you the articles as word docs. The places we've covered are:

Ft. Lauderdale

Antibes

St. Maarten

St. Thomas

Juneau, Alaska

Bahamas is next on the list. And if you have provisioning info to share with our writer, let me know; that would be great.

Thanks,

Kate

Nancy Smyth
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2009 8:22 PM

Dear Kelly,

I enjoyed reading your article in the October, 2009 issue of “DOCKWALK” entitled “The Gourmet Guide to The Bahamas; however, I tend to have a different opinion of provisioning in the Bahamas. 

First of all, I have been a Yacht Chef for over 10 years and have been doing charters out of the Bahamas since that time.  I find it extremely easy to provision for a charter in the Bahamas because in Nassau you can e-mail your speciality items list to Dion Munning at Bahamas Yacht Management and he can get you anything.  Also as a Chef you can e-mail your produce, etc. list to City Market and they will have it ready for you.  I have also spent a great deal of time on yachts that were in Harbour Island and you can also e-mail your list to both Piggly Wiggly and Johnson’s.  Also you can e-mail Yacht Management in Nassau can have provisioning delivered to Harbour Island. 

Kelly, I feel as a Yacht Chef, it is important for other Chefs to know just how easy it is to provision in the Bahamas.

Nancy Smyth
Yacht Chef

Fifty-Meter Flavor
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:30 PM

I've been a chef on yachts for more than 15 years now and if you are the kind of chef who likes to be hands-on and you have very high standards, the Bahamas are a painful place to shop. WAY overpriced provisions which are often poorly handled and of B-league quality at best. Bahamas Yacht Managment has been a welcome addition to Nassau and the Bahamas for getting better provisions, but I caution anyone with high expectations to just email a wish list to the City Market or Piggly Wiggly. In fifteen years I can count on one hand the number of times I have been satisfied ( notice I did not say happy )with meat or produce coming from either store.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:23 PM
When are these guides going to be available online????
Janine
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:38 PM

The Provisioning Tips from 2008 and 2009 are already available on Dockwalk.com in our Digital Dockwalk section.

Here are the links: Gourmet Guide to The Bahamas: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/3e76cae8#/3e76cae8/49

Gourmet Guide to St. Maarten: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/9550852a#/9550852a/54

Gourmet Guide to St. Thomas: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/742a29e7#/742a29e7/54

The September 2007 Gourmet Guide to Antibes is not available on Dockwalk.com, but if you contact us we can send you a PDF.

Good luck.

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:59 PM
Thanks, but what about the Fort Lauderdale and Alaska guides Kate mentioned too? It would be nice to have easier access to these guides online. Keep them coming. It's a good idea.
Janine
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:33 PM

We can also send PDFs of Fort Lauderdale and Alaska to you. Unfortunately, those older issues are not yet available on Dockwalk.com

Average 3 out of 5