Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
UK Transit Visa
Steph
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 3:12 PM

I am planning to join a yacht for a delivery from Cape Town to Scotland in about 2 weeks. I am returning straight home to my job in South Africa after the delivery. As a South African passport holder I am aware that I need a visa to enter the UK, but there is no time to apply. After arrival in port, I will head straight to London and fly back, my flight will be booked before we go. I do not qualify for the 'transit without visa concession' as I am not arriving by air, although I meet all other requirements. The skipper will take responsibility while we are underway, but I am not sure whether that could extend until I leave the UK, since I will leave the yacht in Scotland. Should I expect major problems when I exit? Any helpfull comments will be much appreciated.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 4:17 PM
Hi S, I would have the captain get in contact with the agent at your arrival port. See if they can organize a "In Transit" visa for you upon arrival. I have done this several times for my crew. Just remember that you need to fly directly out to a non schengen country you cannot fly from one schengen country to another so make sure if you have a connecting flight it is in a non schegen country. hope this helps! Hope this helps.
Henning
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:04 PM

Anonymous wrote:
Hi S, I would have the captain get in contact with the agent at your arrival port. See if they can organize a "In Transit" visa for you upon arrival. I have done this several times for my crew. Just remember that you need to fly directly out to a non schengen country you cannot fly from one schengen country to another so make sure if you have a connecting flight it is in a non schegen country. hope this helps! Hope this helps.

Over 20 years of doing this and I have never seen a situation where the seaman couldn't get to the airport from the ship and fly home over a visa issue.

rodsteel
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:18 PM

Henning, would a South African seaman's book help in this case?
Henning
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:54 PM

rodsteel wrote:
Henning, would a South African seaman's book help in this case?

A Seaman's Book would generally guaranty him safe passage to the airport and if he was destitute it would also get him home one way or another even if they stick him on some other ship heading home. A proper seaman is accorded quite a few international courtesies.

Steph
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 12:53 PM

Thanks for the replies, it helped a lot. I will try to arrange what I can, and hope they will let me leave in peace, as opposed to letting me leave with a kick on the backside (read: red stamp in passport)! BTW, who do I contact if I wanted to get a SA seamans book?
Henning
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 4:20 PM

Steph wrote:
Thanks for the replies, it helped a lot. I will try to arrange what I can, and hope they will let me leave in peace, as opposed to letting me leave with a kick on the backside (read: red stamp in passport)! BTW, who do I contact if I wanted to get a SA seamans book?

Call your MP's office, they'll have all that info.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 1:37 AM
Hi Steph, you can get the SA Seaman's book from SAMSA (SA Maritime Safety Association) in Cape Town. There is also a Maritime Academy (STCW school, Foreshore area) in Cape Town that can assist with this. Typically you will need to submit an employment letter from the vessel, STCW certificates and ENG1 medical exam report. Happy sailing.
Moleisk
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:48 AM

Hi Steph, you can also get your seamans book in Durban if you are from there, plus you can get your ENG 1 there. Hope this helps.
boatmark
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:31 AM

Average 0 out of 5