Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Come fight fires with me Advanced Level March 12th
Adrian Montgomery
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 12:40 PM

Hi there,
Just putting a shout out to anyone who wants to do the Advanced Fire Fighting Module around mid March. I've scoped out a course at New England Maritime on March 12th for 5 days at a cost of $775

http://www.nemaritime.com/firefighting.html

The deal is there needs to be 10 of us, so they need a couple more to run the course.
Think about guys,

Adrian

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 9:32 PM
Hi Adrian

Is that an MCA approved course?  I guess STCW is STCW.  I was planning on doing it at IYT and Resolve in Lauderdale its only four days there and same price.

Rusty Wrench
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 2:14 AM

USCG advanced safety training courses not acceptable to MCA due to multiple choice exam Q&A
Henning
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:00 PM

Anonymous wrote:
Hi Adrian

Is that an MCA approved course?  I guess STCW is STCW.  I was planning on doing it at IYT and Resolve in Lauderdale its only four days there and same price.

The 'Standardized' in STCW is about as useful and standardized as anything bloody else the UN does, it's a joke when the member states just do as they please anyway and there are sublists of who accepts what for what. STCW is a joke in its implementation. The yacht industry is an even bigger joke about it because most of the training is way over priced (some of it inadequate, there are things in the STCW Water Survival module I know are not being taught at some school in Ft Lauderdale) and these days, most kids are paying for it out of pocket before they ever get a job. In the commercial end they decide if they want you first, then after they hire you they'll send you to get your STCW done and give you the company training on their dime while you are being paid.

zacharyn
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:37 PM

Mike you bring up an interesting point about differences in standards of training. I am shopping ISM courses. Why is it ISM training at one Ft. Lauderdale school is 1 day and $245 and school number 2 is 3 days and 695. Is that not an STCW approved course? How is there such a discrepancy from one school to another. Thanks, Zach
Richard McCormack
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:20 AM

Adrian, would definitely consider coming to do course with you but having issues approaching work in states as a kiwi. Thoughts?
Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:05 PM
Be careful. There are only two MCA approved courses for Advanced Fire fighting in the United States. Both are in Fort Lauderdale at MPT and Resolve / IYT. STCW courses are not necessarily recognized by other administrations, they must be approved by each country individually in many cases, especially when you are applying to the MCA or European coast guards. You will be wasting your time by taking that course unless you are an American getting a USCG license. Sorry for the bad news
Mike French
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:02 PM

zacharyn wrote:
Mike you bring up an interesting point about differences in standards of training. I am shopping ISM courses. Why is it ISM training at one Ft. Lauderdale school is 1 day and $245 and school number 2 is 3 days and 695. Is that not an STCW approved course? How is there such a discrepancy from one school to another. Thanks, Zach

ISM training is not normally a requirement aboard a vessel operating ISM although it is obviously extremely desirable.  As such the training available is market driven and not mandated  The three day course often offered is typically based on the Lloyd's Auditor's course.  The one day course offered by IYT is designed for yacht crew and is pertinent to their particular application.  I am sure either would benefit you but depending on what you want out of the course and your budget, they will have a different value.

Mike French

zacharyn
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:29 PM

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense. I'd imagine vessels requesting ISM familiarity for their crew would be happy with either one right?
Adrian Montgomery
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 3:20 PM

Thank you so much for this news! I'll be doing my best to cancel this booking ASAP! It looks like I'll have to head to South Africa for this course due to the restrictions of my leave. I'll definitely do a little more research next time!

Adrian Montgomery
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 3:21 PM

Richie! Shouldn't you be a yachtie by now? We must skype soon my friend!

Average 0 out of 5