Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Paternity Leave
Romanov
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 1:14 PM

Has anyone had any experience or knows of another that has dealt with the issue of paternity leave for mariners?
Henning
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 3:02 PM

Never seen it happen, the sea is not a family friendly way to make a living. Many people leave the business for family time reasons.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 8:09 PM
I am getting getting 4 weeks this winter and I know of another captain with the same management who got last July off on a Med based yacht. Seems to be possible but rare and depends on what you can negotiate/ how much they want to keep you. Never hurts to ask. Its not uncommon to get 4 weeks of training leave so why not paternity leave instead?

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 9:54 PM
[Comment removed for violating forum guidelines.] The nature of going to sea for a living means that you are away from your family. Don't like it, quit. No one is making you stay out there. It is your choice to do so.
heevahova
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 1:50 AM

Real men take maternity leave for life!!! Unless of coarse it's Ms Romanov, than no never heard of this...
Adrian
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:14 AM

We had our 1st baby in May of last year and I was given 3 months off with pay. My wife who was chief stew is still on contract and still getting paid after almost 1 year of being off the yacht. I will say that this owner is unique and the 45M we're building also has a nursery for her and the baby who will be 2 when the yacht is completed. We've been with the owner for 3 years now and although we're employees and never forget it,they think of us like family and her as a grandchild.
Stephen C
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:22 AM

Those professionals amongst us that choose to balance our seafaring careers with family responsibilities will often find that a simple direct request for paternity leave to the yachts owner and / or management company would receive a favourable answer. I was granted six weeks paid paternity leave for the birth of my first child. During this time it provided our Chief Officer with the opportunity of command. I am fortunate that the yachts owner is a strong family man and is highly supportive of all crew who require compassionate leave of any description. His compassion and understanding is one of the main reasons why he retains his experienced crew for far longer than the industry average. Subsequently the owner has permitted the introduction of full rotational positions for the master and all engineering officers. All rotational officers work on board between six and seven days per week only taking time off when needed. The beneficial results are that the yacht is maintained to the very highest standards and the owner is ensured of the yachts full availability for service. Rotational crew are able to manage their work / life balance and stay in the industry far longer, keeping valuable skills and transferring them to junior crew. They make an invaluable and positive contribution to the yacht and crew. Rotational positions also act as an incentive for long term career development. There is an additional cost to the owner for full rotational crew salaries but this cost is negligible in comparison to the cost of a few days loss of service in season and the inconvenience it will cause. Our industry has matured and it is time that a progressive approach to the subject of work and family life are addressed with owners and yacht management alike. The negative responses to your original question should be ignored.
valter
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 12:21 PM

Honestly, some people should not bother at all posting on here. The sea is for who? A seafarer is what?

Just to remind you that the latest UK seafarers recruiting video for MN is all around family because it's the core value for the majority.

I believe that it should be of everyone's interest to keep the most experienced ones around!

Romanov, it is not common to have it written on your contract as it happens with anything related to shore-like benefits.

However, arrangements are being made to include it under the next revision of MSN 1767(M) that regulates seafarers working hours. Find the draft: www.dft.gov.uk/mca/annex_c_paras_for_msn_19.1-2.doc

In UK it is usually 2 weeks but you must meet some requirements like been working for over 26 months.

Having said that, it all comes down to common sense and the relationship you might have with owner/management company.

There is a 100ft M/Y crewed by a couple and the owners insisted for them to stay and cruise with their new born...

Fair winds and following seas to all those solitary sailors that stay permanently at sea, kind of "The curse of the Black Pearl"....

Romanov
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:02 PM

Valter, Stephen C and Adrian, appreciate your words of thought and experience. Anonymous, probably best you stay that way for the good of the yachting fraternity.

Average 0 out of 5