Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
few question about working in Australia
seawave
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:18 PM

hi im 22 years old and i have IYT MASTER yacht level 1 licence with STCW90 and I want to know details about jobs in australia (what is the salary and where I can find same good job for myself)
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2012 11:44 PM
i am based in Aus on a yacht right now, theres not much to be honest, theres not many bigger yachts based here so not many jobs, you might get lucky from a boat stopping by on its way to the pacific, but this kind of jobs are rare and we tend to hold on to them.. also new crew generally get flown in from europe or the states. another downside of Australia is it can be very expensive and the aussie dollar is really strong right now. so what you are earning as an entry level yachtie in euros is pretty shit compared to what you could be earning in aussie dollars doing other work, provided that you get a visa. bottom line is if you come down here looking to live the dream on a big yacht there is a very high possibility that you wont find it. on the other hand come down here on a working holiday type thing, do a bit of daywork if theres any yachts about (cairns, sydney, brisbane)you will have an awesome time and you might eventually get temp work or a delivery or even a permanent position.. btw, yacht master (mca or iyt) is expected from most entry level deckhands nowadays so dont brag about it...
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2012 2:23 AM
Are you a Kiwi or Australian? Because without a proper work permit your will not be able to work in Australia. If you are looking foreign yacht in Australia I'd be careful about how you look for work, because Australia is much more strict than say the USA but we Aussies do offer a visa for yacht crew so follow this link http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/superyacht.htm After all that you need watch Border Security the TV show and see what customs agents to when they suspect a foreign national is planing to work paid or unpaid, volunteer or perform in Australia without the correct visa. Watch, enjoy and realize that you need to have and appropriate visa for Australia no matter what you do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=POd94c6er80
Henning
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 6:01 AM

Anonymous wrote:
Are you a Kiwi or Australian? Because without a proper work permit your will not be able to work in Australia. If you are looking foreign yacht in Australia I'd be careful about how you look for work, because Australia is much more strict than say the USA but we Aussies do offer a visa for yacht crew so follow this link http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/superyacht.htm After all that you need watch Border Security the TV show and see what customs agents to when they suspect a foreign national is planing to work paid or unpaid, volunteer or perform in Australia without the correct visa. Watch, enjoy and realize that you need to have and appropriate visa for Australia no matter what you do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=POd94c6er80

I worked in Aus twice, legally. Once on a Partner Migration (Aussie version of a wedding 'green card') Visa and once as captain of a foreign flagged yacht undergoing repairs in transit (a refit/commissioning). No worries at all. As far as looking for work there, I had a lot of dock walkers approach me, in Cairns on a daily basis sometimes. There is some work, but it's like anywhere, you need luck and perseverance.

Average 0 out of 5