Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Drinking in uniform
Dean
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:28 AM

Call me old school, but I think it's wrong if not stupid to drink at social and professional events whilst in uniform. I certainly would not want my orthopedic surgeon or the pilot of my next flight home to be drinking while in work attire because it would be impossible to distinguish between his/her party and professional life. Drinking in uniform as far as I am concerned is absolutely wrong, because it miss-represents the boat, the owner and the captains standards. What do you think?
junior
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 8:31 AM

Yah, I agree, looks bad. When you wear the yachts uniform you are on yacht business. Its a very rare occasion when you drink while on boat business . Shift into street clothing when you go out drinking. Also be careful when your crew Trade boat shirts with other yachties. Next thing you know some drunk day worker has started a punch up in the pub, wearing one of your boats polo shirts. Bad news.
MarineDex
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:41 AM

I also agree that drinking in uniform doesn't send a clear message to others in and around the industry about the industry and clear message of professionalism. However; saying that I don't like it isn't going to change the fact that it is never going to stop. Just have a look when Navy ships come to town and you see them all out in uniform, or workers on the side of the road working all day. I think it would be the last thing that can be said and be enforced before anyone can start drinking.

I like some, have seen the results from crews and day-workers drinking and starting fights in uniform which then reflex on the whole crew, owner and boat. However if more people understood that it was ok to have a drink on the way home from work in uniform for an hour or so but not acceptable to drink in any uniform after 8. Then I think issues and misunderstanding that relate back to vessels can be avoided. Think about it more as, no talking about boats after work or politics during a rugby match Just an unspoken agreement that socially unacceptable and quickly pointed out.

le-capitaine
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:15 PM

I actually worked on a yacht whose owner forbade us to drink in the marina bar where the boat was moored - uniform or not. His rationale was that that bar was his turf. No problem, the next bar was just down the road or across the street. It was actually more comfortable for the crew not to be under the owner's watchful eye.
cgcaptainrichard@aol.com
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:15 AM

All of the pother postings have had more than valid points with which it is difficult to disagree.  I on the other hand separate the difference between a social drink and going out to drink.  Yes, the image of professionalism related back to the Yacht by the actions of her crew in public are undeniable.  On my watch, if the crew is at a social event they should be allowed the single social cocktail as a courtesy to the host or hostess.  If the crew is going out to relax, then they need to be out of uniform and on their own time because I do not care to have on duty crew imbibing.  When the crew is out on their own, I trust that they will act reasonably properly and not become intoxicated or in other ways provide insult to either the yacht or themselves.

Toni Para
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:21 PM

UNIFORM OR NOT, YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE. (UNLESS YOU ARE ON HOLYDAY) A GLASS OFFERED BY GUEST/OWNER IS TO BE ACCEPTED, THE SECOND TO BE DENIED (UNLESS YOU ARE ALERGIC TO ALCHOOL). SOCIAL EVENTS ARE TO BE RESPECTED IN ALL ASPECTS.
heevahova
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:48 PM

A HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA you guy's are so freekin funny. No wonder the talent pool for yachting resembles a raisin... no fun haters, what the else can you do as a BN to boil off the proverbial cheese grease. After being subordinate to someone with little or no class for weeks on end, now you want to tell them how to dress and represent on there own time. u crazy like Mao....
webbwash
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:16 PM

Don't know whether I am old school or just plain practical -

Drinking while in uniform is not acceptable, if you are on shore leave - have a blast and go in "mufti" or "civies" - but be prepared to be called back to the boat to move it to the owner's next port of call at a moment's notice.

While on the boat serving the extremely rich and pompous you should always present the best foot forward for the boat itself and refrain from consumption of beverages or other substances which would make you incapable of performing your duties. Obviously if you are on a US boat those "other substances" are illegal and you best not toy with them wherever are, a piss test is one step away off the dock.

Average 0 out of 5