Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Studying SCTW-95 In Ft. Lauderdale. Visa issue.
Diane.b
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 10:16 PM

Hey everyone, Does anyone have any advice regarding STCW-95 study in Ft. lauderdale on a J1 visa I will be going to Summer Camp in June and was thinking it would be good to get my SCTW-95 out of the way during my 30 day travel period. Will schools accept me if I don't have the correct visa? I'd like to do the course as early as possible as I am hopefully going to be doing Ski season afterwards and wouldn't have time after that to get my certificate in Antibes and look for work. Any advice would greatly appreciated!
Henning
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:48 AM

If you have a J1 visa you have a cultural and educational exchange visa that even has some US work authority rights, so you have the correct visa for what you are desiring.

Diane.b
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:27 AM

Brilliant. Thanks for the help Henning =]
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 11:56 PM
hey everyone, i hope that somebody tells me a few real sites names to apply for work as sailor, on ships or yachts. i am old seaman, and as you know back to my time in the sea there was no tecnology to apply for work. so now i found so difficulties to apply for work, its just a tricky life now. i hope that some one will answer me cheers all R.S
MarineDex
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:26 AM

I don't know if you have or haven't already seen other posts simular to your question about getting a job on a superyacht but I'll answer your question away.

To start with since you already most likely have more paperwork then you'll ever need is register with the crew agencies. Click here to a see a list of crew agencies . There is a list of some 40+ i've comprised in my directory over the years.

The other thing I would do is also go to the boat shows and introduce yourself to brokers, manufactures, shipyards, management companies and other crews in the industry. This industry is almost all about who you know not what you know.

If you have any further questions check out the Superyacht Guide that i'm working that i've tried to answer some of the usual questions about the industry. If you have any further questions feel free to ask away.

Best of luck and safe sailing.

Average 0 out of 5