Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Antibes 2012
Cizealin
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 7:34 PM

Talking from the coast here: It's going to be a hard year for newbies. Loads of experienced crew out of work, so without an STCW95 basic training cert + more forget it, maybe? However here has always been a chance here, and long may it last, for the special ones! Agencies, they are all going to be negative to you, why? Because of course they can make money out of seasoned crew, fair enough? But still register with the whole lot, you will find your favourites yourself, out of 21 (I think) agents you will find two best friends. Be prepared for a long stay, it's not going to easy. Beware of boats not paying, occaisionally not at all, so don't work for a month on a boat which is not recognised, there are some really nasty fake millionaires around here. GET a contract! Do the dockwalk, keep up your optimism, talk to crew, they are often quite bored and would like a chance to get off and have a chat on quay. Don't do the "have you got any daywork" and then clear off, we find that rude after having dragged us off our job. We want a longer effort! STAY out of bars excessively until you can afford it, networking too long = you spend your money in two weeks. Try and share an apartment, then do the search, it's a big coastline, 28 marinas here, GET around! Try La Napoule, Cap d' Ail, Villefranche nobody does! Also the smallest 22m can pay the same as a 130m for junior crew. Good luck to you all, always a pleasure to see you all here, the industry needs people like you! Hope this helps, Bon Courage and Good Luck guys! Good Luck all you newbies, I was there once!
yasenpochev
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 9:23 PM

Cizealin, what would your advice be to an experienced engineer with the highest certificate and all relevant visas and certificates, but with no yachting experience? Thx
Cizealin
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 9:42 PM

Wow, a hard one. Frankly, you are starting from zero + a bit in the yachting game. Very unique boats, like nothing you saw before, no matter how much shore based engineer skills you have. Plus a life experience you may not have tried before...try a season. You are going to have to swallow your pride and start just maybe for a year or so as a newcomber! All my own opinion OK, I regard my ideas as my own thoughts. ! Good luck. Hopefully your excellent skills will see you through fast. Look forward to the responses on this one!
yasenpochev
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:17 AM

Sorry, my bad! By experienced I meant 2 years commercial and 5 years cruise ships. The last year I spent on the world's largest cruise ship equipped with the latest technologies in the industry, probably not just like the unique yachts but close, very close.
Henning
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:53 AM

yasenpochev wrote:
Cizealin, what would your advice be to an experienced engineer with the highest certificate and all relevant visas and certificates, but with no yachting experience? Thx

email Joe Hodgeson: joe@wizzwazz.com, he's runs a list for engineers, just ask him to get on it.

GEOOLI
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:48 PM

Great tips and thanks for the heads up Cizealin. Always refreshing to hear views and tips of those in the know! I hope to be in Antibes and surrounding area come late Feb / March and as a new-comer to the Superyacht industry its warming to see that we are welcomed by experienced crew! Wishing everyone all the very best for the upcoming Med season. G
s-holman
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:31 AM

Thanks for the heads up! i will be heading there mid march so hoping to find something! sort of a newbie so know what to expect and hoping its not going to be as bad as 2009 was for me!

Shaun

yasenpochev
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:23 PM

Henning, thanks for the info. I'm in contact with Joe for 2-3 years now, I'm registered all over the agencies both in Europe and USA, I've been around the offices. Obviously that doesn't work. I 'm trying to figure out is it something that I'm doing wrong, is it just the way the market is these days, but still think it's not about experience, certification and abilities only, factors like passport and native English language are very strong. Since I have the highest possible ticket, all relevant certificates and visas, paperwise I'm ready. Looks like all I need is to be a bit more lucky and someone give me a chance.
MarineDex
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:50 PM

yasenpochev you might want to go and hit up the big managment companies like

Frazer
Edmiston
Hill Robinson
etc.

with your CV as the yachts that you'll be targeting over 500gt have shore based assistance and are the first to know if someone is leaving and may need someone to go and fill in a position. I would also go and visit their offices if they are not to far away and introduce yourself and offer assistance as either temp crew or shore support, since I know and so do they where they would rather be getting advice. Let me know if you need help locating the mangement companies There is a list of some 60 additional companies that do management service in the link, that might offer you another avenue for finding a job. Do keep intouch with Joe really good for finding jobs for engineers and thumbs up in my books.

Cizealin
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:00 PM

Yasen, my apologies for my earlier reply. As other posts have said I am sure given the right input and with the correct agents you will do well, I agree with the advice given! Can I suggest you also try a yacht agent here in the Med called ICR Consulting, I worked for them last year for two months. Smaller boats but busy!
yasenpochev
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:07 PM

MarineDex, thanks for your input. I've visited some of them, Hill Robinson in particular do not talk to crew in their office-online only. Anyway, my point is not to complain, all I'm trying is to get real feedback from real yachting people. I've already managed to do few real interviews for well respected yachts in the industry, but the lack of yacht experience seems to be the reason why other candidates are preferred, even though the boat is looking for cruise candidates. Under what circumstances a chief engineer/captain would consider hiring an engineer without yacht experience?
Cizealin
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:49 PM

Yasen, Hill Robinson are not crew agents! But they are just about the most respected Management agents on the coast here in my opinion! Of course they will not be able to reply to you fully as it's not normally their thing. Best to be here and then talk in direct, don't confuse crew agents with "yacht agents"! Good luck.
yasenpochev
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:19 AM

Exactly, I'm talking about Hill Robinson's office in Antibes, I was there and received a short answer - online only!Anyway.......I don't give up
MarineDex
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:42 PM

To those discussing Hill Robinson I've seen them offer a crew services at the Antibes boat show last year so I did a bit of digging on their site and noticed a registration system if no one saw it before.

http://www.hrcrew.biz/

Anyway personally no yachting experience for engineers wouldn't be such a big issues for the engineers in my eyes. In fact an engineer that can get in a fix the issues without sitting back and calling sub contractor is really only what all captains and management companies are looking for, as well of course the ability to work in small and large groups of people with long hours and tight living spaces. However without looking further at your CV it is difficult to see if their is an further flaws that might be causing an issue with recruitment. send it to me at info@marinedex.com and i'll have a look and see if I can help further.

Best of luck with the job hunt i'm sure something will come up soon.

Cizealin
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 9:13 AM

Marinedex, you are quite right. Sorry for misleading anyone. But the Hill Robinson site is confusing, they also clearly state "they are not a crew agency" and only look after their own managed yachts. So why have an online registration?! I think what they obviously meant to Yasen was to register online, most crew agents here want that now.
valter
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 10:53 AM

Hi,

In fact HR crew is a mirror site for JF Recruiting where they post their jobs.

They are not a typical crew agency but they do place crew via JF Recruiting.

My experience also confirms that they do not attend in their office, only for final interviews. Spoke on the phone to their contact in charge of crew placement and she has just confirmed this operations policy. 

Good luck with your job hunt Yasen, I too belong to that group of seafarers transferring skills to the yachting industry (Navy background). I do understand your frustration but follow above posted recommendations and get to know people, networking. Your opportunity will come. Bear in mind that most of the bigger ones have officers with same background as you and that might play in your side.

Congratulations to Cizealin for sharing an "on scene" view as this is of the utmost importance for crew planning job hunting over there next season.

Steven.Hall
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 3:38 PM

As a newbie I will be heading to SOF shortly once I hand in my notice from a shore job.  When would you recommend to travel to the likes of Antibes for the start of the Med Season?

Average 4.5 out of 5