Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Life After Yachting?
jackbrown00
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 4:55 PM

So after 5years in yachting, started at 18, and with an OOW, I am now starting to wonder, what kind of shore based opportunities there are for someone like me who has limited school qualifications. What kind of job is possible in the future on land?
Cizealin
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 8:49 PM

Don't be silly, take a decent break, then go back into it. After a good holiday (maybe a few months) you will realise what you were missing.
Capt Edward P
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:16 PM

Jack, it's  tough out here - people with  degrees flipping burgers..doing personal care... bussing tables...do you really want to  be starting out at the bottom again.? People really are  doing crappy jobs  just to pay  the bills, if I were you and you have a job,  I would seriously keep it. If  and when we get out of  this mess  which I seriously doubt for a long time,  then you can pick and choose.  Yours 'aye  Cap'n Ed

JackBrown
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:28 PM

Yes im not thinking about now, im talking about in the future when people get out of yachting, what do they do? Do they start up a small business, or do property etc?
nickos
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:19 PM

Jack, if you have good yachting experience, knowledge and are passionate about boats and boatbuilding there is no reason why you can't get a shorebased job with a boatbuilder or yard. I worked on large yachts for 5 years as well as a few years on smaller boats and made an easy transition to a project manager in a prestigious US small boat builder. Good luck!
Stewardessbible
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:21 AM

Hi Jack, I spent YEARSSSSSS in yachting and left last year. I finished my bachelor degree and had a baby with wonderful man.... Yes there is life after yachting.... family, friends, birthday parties, weddings, sports, hobbies etc....just think about what you are passionate about and go for it.....
junior
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:13 PM

Well Jack , after 5 years in the industry you've obviously done your duty. You've earned La Dolce Vita.......ahhh. Now its time to enjoy life. As you well know we live in a modern world were everything is possible. Id suggest you secure a few first class credit cards, find a wonderful man, have his baby, then let him worry about payments and your pension while you enjoy family, friends, birthday parties, shopping, weddings, sports, hobbies ......................... You did the time Jack, you earned it, go for it.
Deoni
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:30 PM

Hi Jack, I think you are the only one that could actually answer that question. My advise is to dig into what you are passionate about as by doing that and pouring your energy into what you love I can't imagine it failing. Yachting is a great stepping stone to reach certain dreams and goals and if you are planning to stay in yachting for a little while longer then enrol in an online course to keep your brain from rusting up and working towards some sort of qualification outside of the yachts. Best of luck and never give up on your passions, it's the driving force of life and what you were made for
sean
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:35 PM

The thing about most people who enter and exit the industry is when they are younger as you are, they fell forutnate to find this big secret called yachting that alowed them access to see the world with gret pay on top of having no cost of living.  Later, say about 5 years, people see it as a corner they've backed themselves into and going back ashore is very difficult...because youve lost all that on top of most likely not being able to find a job that pays what youve become accustom to...its amazing how fortunate you feel in the beginning, practically bragging to your shore based friends then feeling cursed once youve had your fill.

No one can hand out the next golden oppertunity...you were lucky to get into this sercret circle to begin with.  Time to man up and make the hard choices of what you really want.

Philwhittaker
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:45 PM

Hi Jack, I spent 10 years crewing on yachts large, small sail and power. The experience you gain in the yachting industry has the potential to give you a distinct edge. Spend your time on board wisely, learn as much as you can about the yachts and the systems. Listen to those around you who have been in the industry for a long time and chose the point you feel best to exit. This is the tough part, choose too old and starting a new career can be next to impossible. Choose too young and you will not have enough experience to carry over.

One thing to keep in mind when moving ashore is that you will be starting your career over again, that means you will be at the bottom of the pile and need to work your way back up. There is a way out of yachting it takes hard work and a willingness to start over.

I like you have no college degree. I am working towards a business degree which is tough while juggling two kids and building a career. I work at a company that distributes parts to the marine industry; my role is a product manager of a new range of stabilizer systems. I am always happy to offer help and advice to those looking at getting out. One last thing, try find somewhere warm, New England winters can make you want to get back on a boat in the warmth…

Average 0 out of 5