Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
What do crew really want from a chef?
bellender
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:02 AM

there seems to be a very real lack of insight into what it takes to prepare 'SIMPLE' food...
bellender
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:26 AM

I enjoy cooking for the crew for the first couple of months and I've always taken the attitude the crew is 'more' improtant than the guests and have always been a caring team member but eventually people tire of their jobs and fight with each other and end up backstabbing people and complaining about the food...... .... Im a pretty good cook and am not an egocentric supersar chef, just a man that likes cooking for people and bringing people together....... at the end of the day the pay isn't really that great for most cooking positions on yachts and with 14 years of proffesional cheffing experience getting paid very little in restaurants, I'd kind of like to get paid at least the same amount as a chef stew which quite often isn't the case and really its the chef that get sacked off and the end of the season and usually expected to walk into a forgein galley and produce amazing food at the drop of a hat... It's really not a recipe for success...
bellender
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:31 AM

agreed.... people are just fical. Cooking and eating is a subjective experience dependent on perception based upon mood... I guess ketchup brightens up everybodies day...
bellender
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:38 AM

I've found people in every job on the boat act unsociably... pinning it on the chef arbitrarily seems to be somewhat ill-concieved.
bellender
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 3:56 AM

I've been a passionate creative chef for my whole career I would never serve slop but I've really seen alot of self serving unappreciative behavior from crew...
bellender
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:09 AM

I must be well underpaid then always earning less than the cheif stew.... I haven't seen these 'big bucks' yet but I do understand that some Chefs earn a bomb... I think its only fair to recognise that we don't all get paid a fortune or act like the ego-centric wankers you see on TV....
bellender
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 4:45 AM

nope.... I love cooking for anybody thats appreciative of a good meal,especially crew as i care more about the people that I live with and who will look out for me...... I have now worked with several crews that have unrealistic standards and expectations. I feel that it is the other way around, that these spoilt crew members should be the ones looking else where for work......
Henning
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:03 PM

Kimi Reid wrote:
I've had a lot of success giving crew their own preference sheets, as soon as I come on board. This way, they have the opportunity to let you know their preferences/allergies/specifics, and you can work from that. Also, be sure to include things like, "what would you have for your last meal," and "when is your birthday." In other words, let the crew know that you are there to support them, just as much as they are there to support you (you are bound to acquire some dish-helpers in the process). Set the standard from the beginning, and let them know that you will do your best for them, when possible. This way, when you have a crazy charter and you have to put out a Caesar salad and a massive bowl of Spag Bol...they will understand that you do your best for them when you can. If it sounds like too much for some of you chefs out there, I totally understand. But don't get agro, just remember that food is perpetually subjective, so it's almost impossible to please everyone, all the time. Support your crew when you can, and they will support you back. I've been following this mantra for 8 years, and it's worked out pretty well....and it's definitely helped to make some good friends in the process.

LOL, When the chef asks me what I want for my last meal, I start to worry, if the chef is a good looking girl, I'd get downright scared if it was ever served up!... As for the rest, I'm with you, it's all a team deal, and the crew remember when you were out there in the pouring rain pulling on a line with them.

That is really a lost essence in much of yachting as to the depths of discomfort and hardship life at sea really can be. I really believe that everyone should watch an old home movie by Captain Irving Johnson called Around the Horn to gain some perspective.

Average 5 out of 5