Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Yachting Experience Translated for Land-based Resumes
Mac
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 10:26 PM

Any ideas on the best way to reflect and explain Stewardess Yachting Experience for a resume where the employer may have no idea about the Yachting Industry? I am trying to keep it short and sweet but also relay the assets that yachting gave me i.e. attention to detail, being ready for sudden changes, always being at attention and polite etc. I've just heard stories of past crew members having difficulty getting land based jobs because the employer does not understand the difference between yachts and cargo ships. At the same time I don't want my resume to come off as being pretentious.
MarineDex
Posted: Sunday, January 1, 2012 12:48 AM

Personally I would write something like this

I was part of a unique and professional team responsible for safety, well-being and enjoyment of wealthy guests and owners on board a motor/sail superyacht in the Med/States for the past x years. My roles included but where not limited to; management and cleaning of the interior, assisting in the organising on board event and general running of the yacht etc.

good luck with the job hunt

junior
Posted: Sunday, January 1, 2012 5:14 AM

Pretty much the only reason I hire a stewardess is to solve problems. A dozen unknown problems with unknown people while operating in unknown regions .... every day. Note this on your resume.
Henning
Posted: Monday, January 2, 2012 12:33 AM

shoot me an email with your CV to henning@caphenning.com

rodsteel
Posted: Monday, January 2, 2012 1:49 AM

Mac,

How to target/structure your resume (CV) will also depend on the type of land-based position you are seeking and the country of employment. Sending a copy to Henning for critique purposes would probably be a good start (since Junior didn't offer ).

Rod

Average 5 out of 5