Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Massage therapist-Stew: Insurance and more
Rachel
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2011 12:47 PM

Hello all,

I am a massage therapist (based in the UK) and plan to work on Yachts next summer season. I would like to know if anyone knows which company offers insurance for being a massage therapist on yachts (mine is restricted to the UK mainland), but also and quite important point, is it possible to make sure I can work mainly as a massage therapist on board, say 70% of massages and 30% of Stewardess job? (nothing against being a stew, but I love my job and would like ideally to do more of it, that's all!). I was told if the boat is more than 80m long and discussing with the captain, it should be feasable, any experienced person could tell me, either confirm or infirm this piece of information please?

Thank you very much,
Rachel

Henning
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 1:48 PM

Wow, good luck with that... there are several tricks involved to make that difficult. Technically, if you are UK on a UK flagged vessel, your UK professional liability policy should be in effect. However on a non UK flagged yacht, you may have trouble gaining independent coverage due to differences in local and regional requirements where you travel. Typically this is covered under the boat policy when I bring the masseuse on the crewlist.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 9:52 AM
Hi, I'm a massage therapist currently based in Antibes looking for a stewardess/masseuse role on a yacht. I understand that things take time, that it is early in the season and that there is a lot of competition, but i have been in Antibes for 4 weeks and have not yet had an interview. Is there some vital thing i am not doing? I also have 4 years experience within hospitality, including chalet hosting, hotel housekeeping and restaurant work as well as bar work. My massage skills are varied (swedish, thai and sports) as well as extra training in hot stone massage and pregnancy massage, so i feel i have a lot to offer a yacht...am i being naive? As you can tell i am starting to worry about not finding a job... if anyone has any advice for me then i would be extremely appreciative! I am applying for jobs online left right and centre but not hearing anything back or getting any feedback on my applications. Thanks for your time x
rodsteel
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:08 PM

Dear Anon (and frustrated? ;o),

Is it safe to assume you have completed or are actively working this check list?

1) Created a "standard" yacht CV (and made copies to pass out - see sample on the www.FiveStarCrew.ca web site )

2) Registered on-line and personally with the key crew agents in Antibes

3) Sent CV's to all masseuse specific job postings (that you meet ALL requirements for).

4) Networked with and/or become room-mates with those like-minded stew/deck candidates currently posting here (e.g., "Zane", "Junior Stewardess/Beauty Therapist", "Nikki", "Katerina", "C-Jones", "Clifford", "Juliia-fox", "Emma", "Christopher", "elijah" and "garciayounes"

5) Hit the marina docks daily, appropriately dressed and prepared, offering your services and CV (day working as a stew or crew massage for "tips"?).

Good Luck!

http://www.superyachtjobs.com/jobs.asp?contact=N&search=Y&id=11853

http://www.superyachtjobs.com/jobs.asp?contact=N&search=Y&id=11856

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:36 AM
Hello Rod Steel,

Thank you so much for your response and I apologise for my delayed reply. I have been doing all of the things you have listed, hence the frustration I am feeling. I have to admit that I have lost motivation with the dockwalking, so I know I need to get back into that - especially now that things are really picking up! However I also hope that yachts will be contacting agencies for masseuses now that it's picking up.

Excuse the 'anonymity' I just feel that my  lack of success is not something to be broadcasted haha I've learnt how small this industry is so I don't want to jeopardise job prospects.

Once again, thank you Rod. I have had an interview this week which is promising, even if I don't get the job. Please do let me know if you think of anything else that may help me though.

Average 0 out of 5