Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Updating a Captain's CV
petelimo
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 3:17 PM

I have been in the industry for over 5 years and progressed my way into a Relief Captain's position.  My skills have changed throughout that time, and i would like my resume to start reflecting more of a Captains "seeking" role. Any extra help i can find to ensure i'm getting the best out of it would be great

If anyone can be of any assistance in this field i'd love to hear from you

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 6:34 PM
[Comment deleted by moderator.]

Dominic Warren
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 6:47 PM

Hey Pete, don't forget to mention the cycling! BTW don't you just hate these pricks who post anonymous smug replies? (see above)
Belanglais
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 7:12 PM

Hi Pete, take a look at http://www.callthecaptain.yolasite.com
petelimo
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 2:22 AM

Dom: I must of missed the reply. They have deleted it now.

Belanglais: Thanks i'll take a look

www.marinepro.co.uk
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 2:39 AM

Aside from changing the subject, the CV writing is an artwork - check the relevant rules and guides on that too.
Right strategy and frame will increase your chances much.

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 11:43 AM
It is tough enough out there at the moment to get any sort of Captains gig ...... why help? Crew agencies offer good advice.......

ratpack
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 4:48 PM

Pete - a bit of good advice. For years, when reading CV's I am keen to see how the individual expresses themselves as much as I am keen to see the information contained in it. I hate and loathe manufactured CV's and will easily dismiss a candidate if it looks like the work of a so called CV Guru. Agents that tell you to re-write your CV and do it differently, drop them, go and find someone else. Get all relevant information on it, but then express your talents in how YOU present it.

Average 0 out of 5