Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Trouble being paid!
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 12:53 PM
I was on a freelance charter a couple of months ago. I am still owed for the charter and I am constantly being told the check is 'in the mail' by the one crew member who takes care of the boat. I have no other contact information and now the crew member I was dealing with is no longer returning my phone calls. The boat is no longer in use and is up for sale. I am not sure what my next best course of action is. Please advise if you are able to offer some help.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 6:21 AM
CHalk it up as a loss
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 6:37 PM
Find out who owned the boat and file small claims court wherever you live. U S Mariners have a right to be responded to in court of their home area regarding wages, transportation home, etc. (Jones Act) Also include the person or agency that hired you in the suit. Yes unfortunately there are captains that would claimed to have paid crew and kept the money, sad.
Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 2:58 AM
If you post your email I will send you info on how to get it! I have had problems before with getting paid and I always get paid.....post a reply here and include your email I will assist.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 2:32 PM
I have de same problem, i'm still working on the yacht but i suppose to get a rise since last january, the captain promissed and he advice de owner but i guess one of them is laying or they just don't want to pay but all of this months that had been passed he supposed to own me de diference of my race, can i do something about it?
ratpack
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 4:42 PM

I have learned over the last 12 months or so - if you are not paid on time - pack your bags and get off, even after 1 month. If you freelance, don't get off the boat until the money is in the bank or your hand and make sure this is made clear before you start your job. It is a real ball ache and the best advice I can give is do your utmost to avoid it in the first instant. If your contract says you will be paid by a certain date and it isn't, leave. It will only get worse if you don't
SPORTA
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 8:32 PM

To the Anonymous Poster from 10 December 2011 02:58 who wrote, "If you post your email I will send you info on how to get it!"... would you please email me at "sporta@ablecrew.com"? It would be much appreciated!
junior
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:01 PM

Communicating personal details with an Anonymous poster on Dockwalk is a bad move. Identity theft. As for clawing back lost wages, I say youre up the creek without a paddle. Yacht Captains...the one who approved your hire and operated the charter ...are notoriously corrupt. Also Remember, In general , that Owners of yachts have no idea how petty cash and temp crew are hired and paid. Alway go after the captain . In your situation, Short of having the captain Balkanized , there is not much hope. Always good to get written acknowledgement of your hire and agreed conditions. Many times this piece of paper in concert with good port police relantions can ignite a fire under the captain , allowing him to regain memory and payup.
Stewardessbible
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:58 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that... but you are not alone .. it happens far too often in this industry. Money is money and if you have done the right thing then they have no RIGHT at all to keep that money from you. Don't chalk it up as a bad experience! do something about it..... Contact: Frank Benham Tel:+33(0)495 061 192 Fax: +33(0)491 462 028 Cell: +33(0)616 962 849 Email: contact@eticmar.com
Jamespettifer
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:12 PM

Hello

I have previous posted on a topic like this one but cant find it. I also went for 3 months after leaving a boat without being paid.

My weekly routine for the first month was a weekly email to the captain in a professional manner making sure to include the dates which you was due your pay, the amount which was outstanding and then the date you sent this email. Any phone calls made between you and the captain to be noted down for later.

After a mouth of receiving nothing I did some research and contacted the owner directly at first with a very polite email explaining my situation the outstanding balance ect, I finished the email off by attaching all the emails sent to the captain. Make sure you CC the email to the captain so his is in the loop and you are not going behind anyones back.

After a mouth of this I called the owner at his office each week for 2 weeks when I finally got to talk to him, the payment was made a couple of days later.

To the people who posted saying “call it a loss and walk away” That is the most stupid comment, we are not slaves, we work for our wages and should get them in full on time. I would also like to add that in this job I did not have a contact or any paperwork to show my employment, there for in all the emails be very positive and show no aggression or the owner/captain will most likely lock up.

Good luck and do not give up, you worked for that money.

Average 0 out of 5