Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Hand-Ironing Sheets
Dayna
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 11:16 PM

Does anyone have any tips on hand-ironing bedsheets in limited space?
John Doe
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:55 AM

Make friends with the crew, time manage yourself onto the crew mess table while they are busy. then ask for help folding. Don't forget to put down a towel or the person who varnished it will kill you.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 1:40 PM
This tip comes straight out of "The Slackers Guide To Crewing on Yachts" Put the bottom sheet on the bunk, then iron it, then fold top sheet in half and iron (don't forget the spray starch) lay top sheet flat and iron out middle crease. VOILA!
kapt_mark
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:01 PM

make the bed and then turn it back like it will look like when the clients climb in. Iron the bits that are visible in situ with a small hand iron, they will NEVER know that the rest of the bed that cant be seen was never ironed and probably wont care if they could see it as you have made them so chilled out. Make sure the pillow cases are crisp, the curtains are drawn, lights dimmed, nice smells, choco treat. If going for gold, james bond style rose petals, champagne, soft music, silk monogrammed pjs, hot tub etc...Then just wait for the big fat tip, assuming the engineer has kept the air con going and the water tank topped off and the rest of the crew have done their part.

An Owner
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 2:09 AM

Then just wait for the big fat tip, assuming the engineer has kept the air con going and the water tank topped off and the rest of the crew have done their part.

----------------------------------------
Correction: Then just wait for the big fat tip while praying the guest is not, A) from NYC and half paranoid about checking for bed bugs. B) An Ex Military Officer still obsessed with attention to detail or C) in possession of a gold digging trophy wife with a penchant for small venomous creatures.

Stewardessbible
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:12 PM

Ohhh there is a lot of great advice for you here!! My advice is: 1. Take the linen out of the dryer when "cupboard dry". DO NOT OVER COOK THE LINEN..... the wrinkles will never come out if you do that. 2. Spray with downy and fold immediately. It will save you loads of time. http://www.downy.com/en-US/product/downy-wrinkle-releaser.jspx!!! 3. Make the beds per normal and iron the linen on the beds.
amurphy@pioneerlinens.com
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:14 PM

Dayna, I had one of my staff who is the best at ironing sheets write this up for your post and for our blog, Cheers, Alan http://www.letstalklinens.com/ironing-your-fine-linens
amurphy@pioneerlinens.com
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 2:59 AM

Talking about how to care for fine linens inevitably leads to the question of whether elegant table linens and luxurious bed linens need to be ironed. The answer is that most people who appreciate the beauty of deluxe linens prefer the smooth, crisp appearance that only ironing can create. Along with proper washing and drying techniques, ironing your luxury linens will maintain their beauty for years to come. Here are some helpful tips from Pioneer Linens Yacht Division for preventing damage and enhancing their appearance. Getting started. The first step is choosing the right iron. I find that most yacht crews have personal preferences, given the variety of excellent European steam irons, such as Rowenta and Miele. My personal favorite is the T-FAL Ultra Glide iron with ceramic heat plate, a reasonably priced steam iron that, in my experience, doesn’t stick or burn when you use it according to the manufacturer’s directions. I bring this iron along when I visit yachts to put the finishing touches on new linens. The easiest way to create a look of perfection is to lightly iron the top sheets while they’re on the bed. Before you begin ironing, make sure the soleplate of the iron is clean, and then spray the steam onto a test cloth to make sure the water is perfectly clear, clean and free of mineral deposits that could stain your beautiful linens. In order to avoid creating new wrinkles while you’re ironing, set up your ironing board near a table where you can place finished sections on the table, rather than letting them crumple onto the floor. Ironing fitted sheets is a great job for two people. I have one of my associates spread out the elastic as I quickly iron the sheets. If I am alone, I sometimes do a quick iron on the bed with a fitted sheet. Not too hot. In every step of the laundering process, take special care to prevent damage caused by excessive heat. Begin by placing your fine linens in the dryer on a moderately warm setting and removing them when they are still slightly damp. Ironing them when they are damp helps relax the wrinkles and create a lovely, finished look with ease. If you’re short on time, keep the linens damp by putting them into the freezer and getting back to them later. When you’re ready to begin ironing, be sure to read the setting recommended on the manufacturer’s label and set the heat control on your iron accordingly. An iron that’s too hot is a recipe for disaster, while the right temperature makes ironing easier and makes your linens look brand new. Upside down. Following some important guidelines will deliver excellent results. For example, when ironing light colored linens, iron the wrong side of the fabric first and the right side next. This will create a crisp, vibrant look. When ironing dark colored linens, iron on the wrong side only. Embroidered sheets always should be ironed on the wrong side to prevent damage. For linens that are particularly fragile or delicate, put a thin towel or fabric over the linen and iron it that way. Do not fold freshly ironed sheets and place them into the linen closet immediately, as they usually need some more time to get completely dry. When it comes to questions about using starch, we recommend milder products that do a great job, such as “Stiffen Up” spray by The Laundress, a company that offers superior products for extra care of your luxury linens. Stiffen Up will give a clean, knife-edge look to pillow shams and add the ultimate finishing touch to your table linens and bedding. The dry cleaning option. After a long charter or trip, it can be nice to have all the linens professionally cleaned, pressed and bagged for the next trip. However before you hand over your fine table, bed and bath linens, always ask the dry cleaner several important questions. Confirm that they use only a mild chemical detergent with a low pH, preferably 7. Also be sure they hand iron the sheets. Most dry cleaner shops run your delicate linens in the same batches as industrial restaurants and hotels, which could be damaging to your more delicate materials. Written by Jay Crockenberg of Pioneer Linens Yacht Division For more tips checkout: www.letstalklinens.com
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:49 PM
Use Downey Wrinkler and then iron sheets on bed.  There will be less wrinkles and less ironing to do.

D. Del Mar
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:00 PM

Thank you for all of the advice! Very much appreciated!

Average 0 out of 5