Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Stew Training
Dayna
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 11:15 PM

I recently began working full time as a stew in a team position with my husband. He's been in this industry for 9 years, where as this is my very first time working on a yacht; my previous work history involves managing kayak shops and administration. To make things a bit more interesting, we are still between captains and I am the only stew, with no one to train me. While I am excited to learn the ropes, I am still figuring out how to do my job. I found an old outline of duties on the boat's computer, however it appears as though it was never completed. Does anyone have a Stewardess detailed list of duties, procedures, manual of sorts that they would be willing to share? Thank you!
junior
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:02 AM

Hard to say. I have no list for stewardess routines. When youre new its best to completely, cabin by cabin, locker by locker, bilge by bilge ..empty the boat...see what you have, throw out the junk, then organize and document your inventory Once you have a good idea whats on the boat then you will be able to put together a routine on how to use and take care of it. Taking care of the boat and knowing how to use the gear for entertainment is what your job is all about. Something to consider is that the only reason you bring a woman on a yacht, as crew, is to give the yacht a woman's touch. Difficult to say what a woman's touch is...that up to you and the owners routine. If your yacht is a faceless charter boat , the job is more difficult..more guess work involved.
John Doe
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:40 AM

Females nest, can be good, can be bad. I agree with the inside out search Junior talked about but i would be careful what you throw out. You don't know the sentimental value of a plate tucked in the back until the next time they appear and the boss asks you to put it on the wall in the salon until they leave. Just keep everything clean, clean clean and hope the chef gives you really good food to serve. Good luck and don't forget that your boyfriend is a great un-tapped reserve of yacht info. Don't be afraid to ask him, it won't negatively affect your relationship; he will be glad you asked.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:50 PM
have you thought perhaps of hiring someone competent in the job of interior crew for a week or two and learn how to do your job from them? It will probably be worth it in the long run even if it means forgoing your (probably over inflated) wages for 7 - 14 days, thats about  long enough to learn how to 'play house' on a yacht.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 7:31 PM
email Sam at Crew Castle. She has ton's of tips. guiltfree@earthllink.net
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 8:34 PM
If you're in Ft Lauderdale, both American Yacht Institute and MPT offer courses for stews. I took courses at AYI years ago and really enjoyed them. However, that being said, I had been working in the hospitality industry (hotels and restaurants) for years before hand so I already knew quite a bit of what they taught. But I learned how to apply what I already knew to the realm of yachting.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:33 PM
hi, good day everyone! my name is menchu a begginner in stewardess on a 30 meter yachts, it is my first day and the first thing put in my mind is that, which product i need to use for cleaning or tricks to make evertyhing so easy,calm,cool and simple which is safe and useful to everyone, esp our guest i want them to impress to see my interior from floor to windows are SHINING. would you please help me which product i need to use or tricks i need to do as i saw our floor, stair and table are fully varnished? thanks.
Stewardessbible
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 12:36 PM

Hi Dayna If you contact me directly (with your return email address) I will send you all of my interior schedules, notes and resource list. Regards K. Admin@stewardessbible.com
Rusty Wrench
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 3:28 PM

Soap, water and elbow grease.
yam
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:12 PM

yammontemayor@yahoo.com i need as well
Stewardessbible
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:12 PM

Hello Yam, Its nice to see you here. I would recommend you sign up to The Stewardess Bible, where I post all of my updates and helpful information. I currently have a few things on the editing table that I am sure will help a lot of people concerning stewardess schedules and duties. Just go to www.stewardessbible.com Warmest regards Kylie

Average 0 out of 5