Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Considering Starting a Personal Travel Blog
popeye
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 2:40 AM

I work aboard a large, high profile yacht as a deckie and I'm considering starting a personal blog about my travel experiences.  I have signed a confidentiality agreement and obviously would not mention the yacht's name or discuss any events that have occurred on the yacht itself such as guests, etc.  The blog would only discuss various things I have done ashore while off-duty.

Does anybody think this could be a problem?  I suppose that if anybody compared my travels to the yacht's itinerary they would figure out the yacht on which I was working, although I admit that seems like a bit of a stretch.  It seems like this should be completely appropriate and not breaking any policies, but I was just curious to get a general opinion on the subject...

popeye
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 5:08 PM

Well, I guess nobody has done this before...oh well, I tried!

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 6:03 PM
I do not have experience with this personally, but I think when it comes to confidentially agreements, you have to be very careful. Maybe check with the vessel's management company, if there is one, to see if there is a policy against this kind of thing. Some have policies against Facebook, etc. and this might fall under the same purview. I think some vessels, regardless of whether you only cover activities off the boat, might be leery about any kind of coverage. I hope it works out.

Average 0 out of 5