Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Americans: Occupy The Docks
OccupyYachting
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 5:06 PM

So as local Floridians "occupy" Lauderdale and Miami, what are you going to do? Get yourself and your friends to occupy the popular docks around Lauderdale and Miami and protest ILLEGAL GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT. Maybe once and for all you get your butts on a actual yacht instead of an old "dingy". Stop this insanity and send illegals home....there is legal immigration and employment among foreign nationals and good on them...but the ones who are here illegally are the majority in the industry .... and they are the majority who are discriminating against you. Whether it be a European country, Mexican, Indian, etc....people discriminate more than average Americans. They just do, I see this in South Florida, Miami, and in NYC. Hispanics do it and Asians do it. While appreciating legal immigration and gainful employment, try to help yourself and your fellow Americans out in this industry, even if some of you have bigger egos than other English internationals! You need each other, even in your own damn country.
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 7:13 PM
I'm a Floridian that works on yachts, pays taxes that thinks protesting foreigners in an "International Industry" is rather naive. I spend most of my year outside of the USA because the size and type of yachts that are based in the USA offer peanuts when compared to world cruising yachts. I guess the question you need to ask yourself is this; Am I prepared to work outside the USA and compete with all nationalities on a world stage? Perhaps the reason Americans find it more difficult to attain work is because the American yacht owners prefer not to employ Americans and hide their money from the IRS. There are plenty of American Captains too that steer clear of American crew so if you want to occupy anywhere "Occupy Wall Street" because the direction America is heading is not good, the rich are getting richer by diminishing their tax responsibility, outsourcing jobs, employing illegals for domestic tasks etc to and looking after themselves first. Taxing the wealthy the same amount as the rest of the population and make them register their yachts in America and see where the industry goes and then complain about the current status quo when all the yachts leave my friend.
Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:41 AM
hey do you even know what the occupy movement is all about..clearly you dont n should spend some time reading up about it before you post something so absurd and ignorant. the movement is about the 99% in this industry we are working for that other 1 % which is a complete contradiction I know but hey it pays the bills even though i support what the movement is about!
OccupyYachting
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:00 AM

the hell are you getting at exactly...naive? what is so wrong with flying an American flag and hiring American crew? in my experience, Americans seem more pedantic and technical on these yachts than their foreign counterparts...one reason could be our reputation for working hard and long hours in this country...that and it's more challenging for Americans to be hired by FOREIGN nationals..hence more Americans try to work fair and harder than foreign nationals in this trumped up biz. American owners do not typically engage in the hiring of crew members other than managers and perhaps cpts. [Comment edited by moderator]   I'm just glad more American yachts out there ARE flying American flags as well as (American owners) hiring more Americans and steering clear from breaking the law in hiring shady and under educated illegal candidates which has helped break up the illegal hiring and DISCRIMINATION against Americans. Things will change whether you think it's "naive" or not. And no, I have no desire, as most Americans, to work outside this country for any real length of time..at least no illegally. [Comment edited by moderator] .if it was not for Americans in the industry, you would have a hell of lot less diversity just based on ethnicity and race...as if it's all that diverse anyway.
The_Captain
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:26 PM

if the american crews are so great then why do the insurance companies state "no americans" in the policies? [comment edited by moderator]

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 3:13 PM
Occupy America you are showing why alot of boats do no like hiring americans because of your ignorance towards other nationals. It is one thing to be proud of where you are from but another to be so arrogant to thing that americans are the best at what they do in this industry. Your training standards are behind most other countries level only in america do they give exams with multiple choice questions and no oral examination. Only in America is it law that a vessel flying that flag can only hire american crews as to keep there people employed so what are you whinning about go and complain to the american owners out there that register there boat in another flag state for tax purposes they are the ones causing the injustice for you not other nationals who are as hard working, qualified and with the correct visas issued by Your Immigration. Get off your high horse go hit the docks and find a job, Im sure if you are as hard working and qualified as you say you are you wont find a problem in getting a job as there plenty out there...maybe its just your flag waiving attitude that is holding you back....just a thought!!!
ratpack
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:06 PM

You are in an industry that does indeed discriminate against Americans, and your post has added another nail in the coffin of Americans looking for work worldwide [comment edited by moderator]

Average 0 out of 5