Welcome to the Dockwalk.com Forum

In order to post a comment in one of the forum topics, you must log in or sign up. Your display name will appear next to your posts unless you check the Post Anonymously box. When writing a post, please follow our forum guidelines. If you come across a post that you would like us to review, use the Report Post button. Please note the opinions shared in the forums do not necessarily reflect the views of Dockwalk.

RSS Feed Print
Who can Issue a STCW 95
Flyr89
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 12:09 AM

Hi, Currently my stcw 95 course was given by the Mexican Navy,as they are listed on the white list i was wondering if this certification is valid internationally or if i have to take the course again either in the UK or with IYT in the us. Regards
Chief
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 1:13 AM

Flyr89 wrote:
Hi, Currently my stcw 95 course was given by the Mexican Navy,as they are listed on the white list i was wondering if this certification is valid internationally or if i have to take the course again either in the UK or with IYT in the us.

Which of the hundred or so courses would that be?

Rusty Wrench
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:03 AM

Flyr89 is most likely referring to basic safety training (fire, medical and sea survival) commonly known as the 'short courses'. These days they are a requirement for all crew serving on yachts registered for commercial use; and to be completed to the advanced level when qualifying for officer certificate of competence (deck or engine)

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:11 AM
I can guess that’s a question of less experience yacht crew, according basic training Mexico is on the list of countries which are accepted under STCW convention, so it is recognized worldwide as any other certificate issued by them. If you are wondering if held certificates can lead to obtaining next certificates e.g. in UK you have to refer to appropriate national rules, e.g. MSN 1802 if you are infested in deck officers in UK. Good luck.
Flyr89
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:52 PM

Hi, Yes I was refering to the basic training.The question was more of a,if I apply for a deckhand job on a foreign flagged boat (not being mexican) would they recognize my STCW certification or would they just consider it bad.
Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:59 PM
It's all the same, so no worries, good luck with looking for a job.
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2011 3:51 AM
The funny thing is that I entered this industry after a 5 year stint with a law enforcement organisation that required us to have EMT and firefighter training for 2 years before we were allowed to work on the force. But, I still had to get certified??? It was as though I paid a thousand dollars to transfer my credentials into maritime language because I certainly didn't learn anything new.
Flyr89
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2011 4:32 PM

Also so i dont have to make a new post, I was wondering if any capts or crew have had any trouble getting work visas for mexican crews? pretty sure mexican crews are not that commun but the input would be appriaciated. I currently hold a 10 year b1/b2 visa and have a history of living in europe for 5 years on a student visa. Mexico does not need a visa to enter the shaengen states.
Divemaster Harland
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2011 6:09 PM

True on that..Former USN, & IDF, previous fitness instructor-(in other words, I had all the 1st aid training you could stand, and actually got hired on more yachts BEFORE i pissed away 1000 bucks..besides, I see more ads for crew that DONT want STCW..they want Y1, or whatever..ask me, just a sham/scam anyway. Got my Divemaster license, and honestly alot happier, and use that before I talk STCW...

Average 0 out of 5